Seeking MD/DE source of Rex Begonias

beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)March 17, 2005

In Alaska I was able to get some nice Rex begonias at Home Depot. Assuming that meant they were readily available... I gave them away rather than moving them.

Assuming is always risky and now I can not find any. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

Behnke Nurseries in Beltsville usually has at least a few Rexes available - sometimes more. If you're up near the DE line, that would be a hike for you, though.

Have you thought about mail order?

Bookmark   March 18, 2005 at 12:08PM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

Thanks Celia, I'm going to Baltimore on Monday so I think i'll zig down to Bhenkes.. Have not been there in 25 or 30 years. Wonder if it's changed a lot.
Then I guess i'll finish up by mailorder. I love selecting the plants myself if that option is available but I'll do what I need to do to get some nice plants.
I appreciate the suggestions.
Beth

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 9:10AM
scarzi(z7 MD)

There is a greenhouse near you near the Delaware line that grows rex begonias. I bought a few from the guy this summer at the fallsway farmer's market in Baltimore. I'm sorry i don't have more information, but if you check with the growers in Cecil county maybe you can find him.

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 12:47PM
cynthia_gw

I was in Lowe's tonight and they had some gorgeous Rex begonias. I usually notice them later in the season at HD. Perhaps they brought them in as Easter plants. Nice selection.

Bookmark   March 26, 2005 at 1:33AM
lynnt(Z7 MD)

Homestead Gardens out on Central Ave had lovely rexes last year, though they were far from cheap.

Lynn

Bookmark   March 28, 2005 at 9:32AM
comettose(7)

Lynn,

I also saw those begonias at Homestead Gardens. Very nice.

Here is a link for a seller of Rex Begonias (in case you want to reconsider and buy on-line). Good luck.

CT

Here is a link that might be useful: Rex Begonia Source

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 2:49PM
wardw(z6 NJ)

They usually have several in the shop at Longwood Gardens; in fact my favorite, Tiger Kitten (an eyelash I think) came from there.

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 2:56PM
cecilia_md7a(7a/Baltimore,MD)

Oh yes, I remember seeing Tiger Kitten (and others) in the Longwood greenhouses when I visited them this winter!

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 2:40PM
pennyonwings

I ordered mine online @ plantsforkids.com. They have a great selection and fast and careful shipping. The 4 plants arrived in good condition.

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 5:52PM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Dutch Plant Farm in Frederick usually has an assortment, and sometimes they sell them in 3" or 4" pots pretty cheap.(which means $5 or so)

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 5:59PM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

Wow, this got resurected from the back closet.
I have gotten some from Homestead and a few from Dennis Gardens in VA.
Last fall my friend in Catonsville took me to a great place in Baltimore where I managed to buy a few more.I also ordered from glasshouseworks, I think in Ohio.
Since I find them hard to resist.... I'm checking out plants for kids too.
thanks everybody

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 5:25AM
graywings123

My guess would be that poster pennyonwing, who just joined gardenweb, is associated with the website he/she is recommending.

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 8:02AM
pennyonwings

Why would you say that!? I was searching online for these plants since I can't find them anywhere around here (small town, TX). This website was the only one I found that actually had them in stock. Wow, I was just browsing this website for info on growing them and ran across this post. By the way, I have a question posted if anyone cares to help me out. Thanks....
Penny

Bookmark   April 9, 2007 at 6:37PM
beth_b_kodiak(zone 5a)

Plants for kids does have the whole collection of Great American Cities AND the beach cities and Constelations too.
About what size were the plants they shipped? I don't see size mentioned in their ad. The ones I got from Glass house were quite small.
I don't have room for any more right now but maybe soon. There are a couple more in the series that I really want.
Penny, where is your question posted?

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 8:03AM
pennyonwings

They came in pots that were about 3 inches. The plants were nice size for such small pots and they all looked really healthy. They package them well, so that they stay in tact....unless the postal workers turn them upside down, then you might get a little leaf damage. But I've ordered plants online before that were not as nicely shipped as these. Thanks for answering my ? I guess i should move my plants to a better lit room. I think I read yesterday for the 1st week or 2 to keep them in a darker spot....now I can't remember why. Too much info stuffed into my brain at once. thanks again!
Penny

Bookmark   April 10, 2007 at 3:44PM
mimicubed(z7SC)

Here's a link to the Violet Barn located in New York. I have ordered both violets and begonias. They specialize in the small houseplant variety of begonias. Just look at the pictures; they're spectacular. I always get an order together with friends to split the cost of S&H -- up to 20 plants for $12. In fact, we will be placing an order soon. http://www.violetbarn.com/begonias.htm

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 2:40PM
marybright(7)

2012 update: Pepper's Greenhouses: they're great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppers in Milton, Delaware

Bookmark   December 13, 2012 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
any luck with "Bangle Spanish Gorse"?
I saw this plant on Wayside recently, and it might...
trackmom
Flowers that will bloom by June 20th in Zone 7a?
Getting married June 20th and want to grow some of...
Morcar21
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry Kahn
Anyone in the D.C. area want a small hoop house?
I'm in the D.C. area this week and have this to give...
elisa_z5
Ok, I've got this bird...
that by all glimpses and pictures, indicates it might...
CEFreeman_GW
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™