Good fragrant climbing / vine for zone 6/7

newbieshelley(Washington D.C.)March 24, 2013

I want to add something climbing to a fence that borders a SW facing, but shady patch of my garden. There are some kind of evergreen (but leafy) shrubs there now, but I wanted to add something floral and/or fragrant. The fenceline / shrubs face SW but are below a bunch of trees. In the winter, they get just about full sun; when the leaves come in, the fanceline /shrubs get half sun.
I like honeysuckle, trumpet vine and wisteria - are there any disadvantages to any of these? I have read that honeysuckle may emit something that may impede growth of nearby plants?
What have you mid-atlantic gardeners grown and love?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dzitmoidonc(6)

Trumpet vine and Oriental wisterias will destroy your neighborhood. Both are aggressive vines that send new vines popping up 20 ft. away. They don't respect fences, lot lines or you.

American Wisteria (Wisteria macrostachya) is better behaved, but it climbs fast to 25ft, and it sends out long vines along the ground that need to be pruned. Because the vines are above ground, this makes them easy to cut, as opposed to the Oriental ones that send these same shoots below ground.

There are wonderful native Honeysuckles, but they tend not to be fragrant. The flowers are nice and big.

I don't know if you are a candidate for Akebia, they don't seem to make a solid screen, and in wild places they can be considered invasive. Native to the Far East.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 10:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shadysite(8)

If you want something fragrant and beautiful in your yard in the evening, try a moonflower. it's an annual in this area but has big white flowers and smells great, You can collect seeds and grow new ones for the next year.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
Sweet Potatoes Curled
This was my first year trying to grow sweet potatoes....
freedomeagle
My new bed (Hugelkultur & Lasagna Gardening)
So last week I put this thing together. I used materials...
CEFreeman
Not a serious Spring Swap post (yet)
Just wanted everyone to know that Henrietta called...
Larry Kahn
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
Best MD Shade Grass
Hi! Can anyone recommend the best shade grass for MD?...
Glenmonster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™