Bad soil

jbanderMarch 12, 2012

I just got my first soil test done in my front garden, No wonder I can't get anything to grow , it's highly alkaline and has zero nutrients all of them testing way under the lowest level. I wanted to use organic options to fertilize the soil but is there a point that you can't because the soil is just to poor. My impression of organics is that it takes time for them to act. Can this still be done organically and do you have any suggestions on what will work best. I was thinking that I would like to use alfalfa pellets or meal, I have a source for both coffee grounds (adds acid also) and rabbit manure. I think I can get phosphate rock and I don't have a clue for potassium ,any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zenpotter(z4 MN)

My soil was bad when we moved in to our house now it is really great. All I have used is farm post and I have a compost bin that I compost kitchen scraps,grass clippings, plants I pull (no weeds) and coffee grounds. I have never used any chemical fertilizer.

Here is a link that might be useful: check this out

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 5:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ecosmarte

You can pick up composted sheep manure for free in the twin cities. Just email for a pickup time. Joannay@aol.com.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 9:20PM
More Discussions
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™