What is wrong with my Maple Tree? (photos included)

InCentralVAJuly 18, 2013

Last year it was fine, this spring one branch looked dead and no leaves grew, now in July it looks like more branches have died, all about 20 feet up. Can anyone give us any advice on what might be causing this?
We live in Central Virginia, last couple of months have been hot but we've also had lots of storms and rain so i don't think it's from lack of water. I'm thinking maybe a disease or insect? We did notice the trunk is sometimes really dark, but it's been like that for 8+ years and leaves always showed up in spring, really nice yellow leaves in autumn. Just this year we have these dead branches and they are increasing in amount.

This post was edited by InCentralVA on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 14:00

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Have several Certified Arborists out to investigate. Then compare their opinions.

Around here, verticillium wilt can cause the same symptoms.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 11:05PM
Liz321(6 - Detroit Metro)

I actually just called my city to come check out a maple in front of my house. I believe it has verticillium wilt. My tree looks a great deal like yours.
In my research one of the big clues for wilt that my tree has - a massive overproduction of seeds slightly off season. That along with die out and rapid wilt at the crown of the tree on individual branches.
Jean's suggestion is probably a great idea. There was one other disease I saw that was similar, but it is difficult to tell which it might be without testing.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 4:37PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

V wilt will leave dark streaks on branches and usually leave the leaves hanging on the branches, right?

I had an acer palmatum succumb to it this year and my neighbor is losing a lilac to what looks like the same. I emailed pics to an extension agent and he thought that was probably it.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™