capsicum Midnight

gardenpaws_VA(z7 NoVA)April 20, 2005

I got a couple of seedlings of this last year at the spring swap, and now I have its offspring under lights. Unfortunately, several of them seem to have deformed leaves (we're at the first or second leaf stage). I can't see any insects - can anyone tell me if it's likely to be bugs, disease, mechanical injury, or just one of those things peculiar to peppers? (Can you tell that's not a genus I'm experienced with?) I'd hate to lose the whole lot of them because I failed to rogue out something contagious.

Thanks much - Robin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creatrix(z7 VA)

Not much response here- try the Seed Forum.

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 4:16PM
Laurel7286(3b Wyoming)

Hi Robin,
Hard to tell without more of a description, but my first instinct is that this is normal. Sometimes in peppers the first leaves come with "notches" or curled in a helix. The 2nd set are the first set of true leaves; leaves that are indicative of the way all the rest of the leaves will be.

hope this helps....

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 6:07PM
gardenpaws_VA(z7 NoVA)

Laurel7286, the cotyledons were normal on all plants. The first true leaves were funky on a few, and I worried about them. Since the second set of true leaves seems to be coming in without curls or notches, and no formerly smooth plants have developed the wierd leaves, I now assume there was just some sort of mechanical damage to the first set of true leaves on the affected plants.

Thanks - Robin

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Stars on Houses
I was recently in Maryland, and I noticed a lot of...
ImaPseudonym
Jujuge Cuttings
For any jujube growers in the northern VA area, I have...
charlieboring
Article on Rain Garden design
Hope this is the right forum: This Philadelphia landscaper...
jkom51
Some account related stuff that people have been asking about
A couple of things. If you haven't figured it out yet,...
Larry Kahn
And my Insect Hotel
I think I'm using up tons of stuff that's "too...
CEFreeman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™