Suggestions for fragrant flowers to cover the smell of moth balls

bubblycoconutApril 29, 2009

I was wondering if any one could recommend a very fragrant flower to cover up the scent of moth balls. I live in a townhouse and my neighbor continually puts an abundance of moth balls in their flowerbed and all around the rest of their patio area. Whenever I'm out on my patio that's the only thing that I can smell and it can be pretty over powering. The smell even comes inside my house if I leave my windows open. I have both areas that receive full sun as well as shaded areas. Something that can be planted in a container would work best but I have space in the flower bed as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appeciated! Thanks in advance for any responses.

Also what is the purpose of the moth balls? I've read that it keeps deer away but the patio spaces are fenced in and we don't have any problems with deer or any other animals for that matter. Thank you again!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Larry K(7a)

Use female moths instead:)

Mothballs should NOT be used outside (or anywhere else, really) - very bad for the environment. They must be using them to discourage smaller animals such as squirrels or chipmunks.

Larry

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 12:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diana_lynn(7b)

How about lilies, lilacs, hyacinths, lily of the valley, roses, lavender and rosemary. I even have a yellow bearded iris that is VERY fragrant. Sorry I don't know the name. Roses, lavender and rosemary can be strong or mild smelling. Just choose a strong smelling type. And although lilacs can get big, there is a dwarf variety that only gets about 4 feet tall and wide. Oh, and for the evenings and early mornings, try Plantaginea hosta. It's a very fragrant, night-blooming type that blooms in August. And sweet autumn clemitis is a fragrant climbing vine that blooms in late summer/fall.

Good luck.

Diana Lynn

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Lupinus perennis seeds (already stratified)
anyone know a source for sundial lupine seeds (already...
puffkit
Leafgro??
I started a new 10' x 12' raised bed this year and...
tinyspaceinannapolis
Honeyberries in DC area?
Hi, I'm considering adding a few honeyberry plants...
zendog
Best MD Shade Grass
Hi! Can anyone recommend the best shade grass for MD?...
Glenmonster
Ok, I've got this bird...
that by all glimpses and pictures, indicates it might...
CEFreeman_GW
Sponsored Products
Metro Wall Sconce by Besa Lighting
$171.00 | Lumens
Hyde Park Left-facing Arm Chair with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Kichler Telford Olde Bronze Finish Pendant Chandelier
$68.00 | Lamps Plus
Zaneen | Blow Mini Pendant Light
$433.60 | YLighting
Area Rug: Palmero Chestnut 8' x 10'
Home Depot