Earthway pelleted carrot plate

kelise_mJune 20, 2013

Last winter I had decided that my big farm tool purchase for the year was going to be one of those $500+ six-row seeders. So I called up Johnny's to ask a couple questions and their tool guy recommended that I try their "pelleted carrot plate, not listed in the catalog, and about $500 less. Sounded like good advice, so I ordered one.

I've been through several plantings now, and the verdict is still out on the carrots (having trouble with the germination, maybe because I'm using all drip for the first time?) But what I wanted to share is that it's working absolutely fabulous for 'Hakurei' turnips and arugula. I've haven't had to thin any turnips this year (yay!) and the density is perfect for bunching arugula. Love it when stuff turns out great and hope this helps you too!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

Here is how we start carrots every year. We do multiple plantings and this system always works.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Starting carrots

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 10:15AM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

Jay, if you lay the row cover down in 2-3 layers over the beds, you don't have to water so much. I germinate carrots in the heat of the summer this way (90F+-) and only water once every 4 days, not 4 times a day!

Kelise, thanks for the tip. I've heard of the mysterious "pelleted carrot plate' found only by asking for it, and wondered if it actually worked or if it just broke all the seed coating. I've been hand seeding all my small seeded greens for years now and have it down pretty good. I can seed a 4 row 100' bed in about 30 min., so the earthway usually just gets used for marking rows (and spinach).

-Mark

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 8:45PM

Last summer when it was 100 plus degrees by 10 in the morning with a stiff 25-30 mph south wind day after day after day, it didn't matter how many times you watered, they just dried out(and so did I). I did get a great stand.

I will have to try your suggestion this year, that would be easier.

Jay

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 11:18PM
kelise_m

Definitely going to try the two layers of row cover trick. I've been trying to get away with no overhead watering at all...so far not impressed with the results. The pelleted carrot plate doesn't break up the coating like the regular one does. Mark, I'm impress with your hand seeding speed, maybe we should call you the "Human Four Row Seeder"! Jay, I love the new cover photo on your blog, I haven't been there since you changed it. What a fine looking bunch of kids!

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 4:57PM
lazy_gardens

If you can hold one layer of row cover above the other by a small space, it will minimize evaporation even more because it prevents wicking and traps moist air between the two layers.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 4:16PM
Mark(Oregon, Zone 8)

What do you suggest? Spray foam?

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business
This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since...
2ajsmama
One woman, seven acres
Hi there. I've been reading this forum for nearly eight...
briannaorg
Winter market, 2015
Darn phone, it said this message was rejected. Sorry...
purple plants better than green in winter
this is the first full winter season for growing in...
grow_life
Sprayer Value
Hi- I am thinking of buying a used mistblower sprayer,...
erniew
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™