Japanese Maple has large black spot on bark

Snydervic(6)July 21, 2013

I just got back from the nursery with a very unsatisfying answer. This morning I noticed a very large, black spot on my JP I planted in May. Does anyone here know what this is? The leaves look good and there are a few small branches without leaves, but the tree looks generally healthy other than this spot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ghostlyvision

What answer did the nursery give you? Can you post pics of the whole tree and the base of the trunk where it's planted in the ground?

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 3:31PM
Snydervic(6)

They said it was an infection of some kind and the tree will die or it might not.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 11:05PM
bfrederick

Possibly a fungal or bacterial disease/canker.
What is black is unfortunately dead tissue and will peel/flake off in time. If this goes around the entire trunk, the tree will likely die, sorry. If there is some healthy tissue left on the other side that we cannot see in the picture, it may recover in time, but there will be a large visable area it will have to heal over like if you pruned a large limb off of a big tree.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 10:19AM
abciximab(7b/8)

What maple cultivar is it? Do you know who the grower was or where it originated? What did the label/tag look like?.....it can sometimes help identify the grower. I have a similar yellow leaved Japanese maple in a 20gal pot that has the exact same disease that I've been watching for the last few months. Ill have to check which cultivar it is. Mine is still in the pot and will be planted in October if it survives. This same disease was on another Acer cultivar last year, 'Seiryu' I think. It survived after it sloughed off the layer and is callusing over. Its growing fine now.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 12:26AM
abciximab(7b/8)

Does the dead tissue go around the entire trunk or is it on one side only? Is it getting larger? Currently my Acer palmatum 'Ukon' has this disease.

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maples - first year care
Zone 7a - North Alabama Hello and first real post in...
Bama_Joe
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
7-day season for maple sap?
Here in Southern Minnesota, had an unseasonable warm...
grovestead
split trunk on new japanese maple
Hi. With the snow and ice from this year our tree ,...
lkps
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™