Where to buy large bags of Vermiculite - cheap?

dianeg-mn(4)March 23, 2012

Hi, does anyone know a (preferably cheap) source for large bags of vermiculite in the metro area? I want to try making hypertufa planters this spring. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaptainkr(4a)

The square foot gardening forum keeps a list of all the places to purchase vermiculite, with a few in Minnesota. I have bought it at Linder's in St. Paul and Anoka Ramsey Farm and Garden. Another place is your local Menards has a product called Sunshine Mica Flakes in the insulation section, which is vermiculite. Some people think it's too fine, but I used it for square foot gardening and was happy with the results. It's made by Sun Gro, the same people who make it for horticulture. If you do a search in the square foot gardening section you'll find lots of posts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermiculite Sources in U.S.

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 9:53PM
debrajeanette

BFG Supply in Minneapolis has large bags at a good price.

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 10:54PM
RobinPM

For what it's worth, I just went to Menards on University Ave in Saint Paul to get vermiculite (based on what I read in the database), but found that the stuff they had in the insulation department was very fine (maybe that's 'medium' grade? Anyhow, it was a sand-like consistency). However, in the garden department they *did* have bags of the coarse stuff - it even says 'for Square Foot Gardening' on the bags! The downside is that it's not the cheapest: $16 for a 1.5 cubic foot bag. I still bought two bags as I was impatient to get started (first garden ever...)

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 10:01AM
freezengirl(3aMN and 5AK)

You should be able to go to any lumber/builders supply company and if they don't have it on hand they could order it for you.

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Identify this plant please.
I found this plant at some one's home, outdoors. They...
ju1234
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™