fingers are itching- the spring gardening shcedule?

Karen JurgensenMarch 30, 2006

Hi all,

this is the first spring in my home, and I'm dying to get out in my garden! My bulbs are coming up in droves, and I have my first little flower buds (not sure what they are- maybe snow drops...)

What is the schedule for what I can do when? When is it safe to start weeding, demulching, cleamning out the leaves, planting bare root roses, trees and shrubs etc??? anybody know where I can find a good gardening schedule for our area? I'm in Hastings so solid zone 4. thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

Weeding... any time you spot one up ! :-)

Not sure about a set schedule on the rest of it or a gardening schedule online. I do have a really good book for all of that.... it's called Month-By-Month Gardening in Minnesota and is put out by the Minnesota State Horticultural Society. The author is Melinda Myers and it is edited by Chuck Levine. It has month by month sections for annuals, Bulbs, Fruits, Herbs and Vegetables, House Plants, Lawns, Perennials and Ornamental Grasses, Roses, Shrubs, Trees, and Vines and Ground covers... .plus a lot of other info. It is a good Minnesota specific guide. I bought mine at a garden center, but I just checked Amazon.com and they have it listed for 12.99 which is a lot less than I paid for mine.

Other then that, I've been gardening all my life (which is a very long time :-) and I just do things when it feels right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Month-By-Month Gardening in Minnesota at Amazon.com

Bookmark   March 30, 2006 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
Strawberries in strawbales?
Has anyone here done the strawbale gardening? A book...
wiillbeane
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
Sponsored Products
6-pc. Kitchen Knife Set
$46.99 | Dot & Bo
SofTap Dimmer by Legrand
$78.99 | Lumens
Twin Thermostatic Shower Valve & Diverter, Head, Rail Kit & Handset
Hudson Reed
Shagadelic Pink Chenille Twist Swirl Round Rug (3' x 3')
Overstock.com
Curved Finger Pull Cabinet Knob
Signature Hardware
Shagadelic Orange Chenille Twist Rectangular: 4 Ft. x 6 Ft. Rug
$97.95 | Bellacor
Authentic Models Deva Hand
Classic Hostess
Luceplan | Agaricon Table Lamp
$405.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™