Community Garden Subscriptions

leaveswave(.)March 20, 2006

Have you ever bought one? It's a bit of a financial commitment as you have to go in for the whole growing season. I'm interested in the organic ones, but the prices seem a little high even for that consideration. I wonder about the quality of the selection as well; I like picking out my own at the grocery store, though sometimes the selection is disappointing. Tell us about your experiences, please! (TAI)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o(4a MN)

I've never actually done it partially because a full share is just too much for me-myself-I and partially because my schedule just does not assure me that I'll be home to use all those fabulous veggies. It's too much money to throw into the compost bin. If I knew I'd be home to cook, though, I'd find someone with whom I could split the share ...

Some Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) farms (another name for Community Gardens) will let you customize your order at least a little. If you absolutely will not eat, say, Brussells sprouts, some will leave them out of your order. Some will let you skip a week or two if you're on vacation (or simply inundated with vegetables). Check where they drop off -- sometimes they drop the food surprisingly far away from your home, and sometimes they'll drop it in a cooler at your door.

My compromise has been the St. Paul Farmer's Market, which requires that all products sold be grown/produced within 50 miles of the market. It's not all organic, but a bunch of it is, and you can buy as much or as little as you want and the prices generally are better than I can get from my co-op, though there is a definite seasonality to the Farmer's Market and, frequently, a wider choice of produce at the co-op.

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
clivia
I have a huge yellow clivia for free
lonemuchow
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
What vegetables can I still plant from seed as of mid-August?
I just cleaned out the last broccoli, turnip, and cabbage...
nick_b79
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™