go ahead and try it..a.driveway stand!

telecaster(5)June 1, 2006

I thought this year what have I got to loose..labor cost is not an issus becauce I love doing this and it is on a very small scale..so I grew about 100 tom plants in my gararge.

repotted a couple times and put them out by the road in a small garden cart...50 cents apiece..aside from watering there was no other time involved.To my surprise I made about $30 in this little town of 400 people.As a rule people don't even look at the label if it's a heirlom or whatever.

They mostly pick up the biggest best looking plant.

One other good thing is that I will have a little word of mouth advertisement because of this.Another tip is if there is going to be a city wide garage sale in your town make sure you put up some signs and be ready for that ..Also advertise at work if u can ..I sold quite a few plants that way also...Give it shot..If you are in it strictly for the $ you would have to spend some on a stand and probably set up in ither places but if you just enjoy gardening and would like to at least get some cash for supplies next year give it a try..PS: MY PLANTS LOOKED BETTER AND SURVIVED BAD WEaTHER BETTER THAN ANY STORE BOUGHT PLANTS AT HALF THE PRICE...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reagantrooper(z5NH)

WOW!! You sold your seedling for only 50 cent ea? Are they in 4' pots? I am selling my seedling at the Farmers Market and in my front yard stand for $3.00 ea. I grew 12 variitys both heirloom and hybrid. The are in 4" peat pots and are some great looking plants.I have sold about 150 seedlings so far. I think you may be selling yourself short.What state are you in? I am in NH.

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 1:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
telecaster(5)

I am in IL...this was more of an experiment than anything else..and where I live the population is only 400..plants were not quite 4 inch size but very close..the funny thing is I loaded up some plants and went to a larger town and set up on a busy highway and didn't sell one plant in 2 hours! think I will let the plants get a little bigger next year and charge a buck apiece.I could probably set up somewhere else but it wouldn's be worth the time and expense.

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
Mara des bois strawberry?
I have just discovered Mara des bois strawberry and...
cedar_wa
Micro Green mix help
Lately, I've been getting demand for micro greens in...
theripetomatofarm
grow bags
anyone have experience with grow bags? looking at 15...
randy41_1
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Winter market, 2015
Darn phone, it said this message was rejected. Sorry...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™