So, if I were dumb enough to want to try J. Maples again???

denninmi(8a)July 23, 2012

What would be some of the better ones for Michigan?

My track record isn't good, I've tried 3 or 4 over the years, and always lost them eventually. Spring frost/freeze being one reason, although the one that lived longest and did the best, a Bloodgood, seemed to have a verticillium type branch by branch dieback (actual causal agent unknown).

I have a good "foresty" type place where I think a couple would have better than average prospects.

I certainly wouldn't plant out in the open, there are many severely messed up J.M. around here due to the late, hard freeze after foliage had emerged. They are really sad now, sparse with tremendous dieback.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houzi(8)

Shirasawanums,Japonicums and Sieboldianums are reputably more hardy,might see something you like.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 5:15PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

And more specifically A. shirasawanums leafs out later.

I'm surprised you are having bad luck with them in your zone. Most 5b locations do well with them. My upper reach of zone 5a is going to be dicey once a real winter hits.

What is your soil like?

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 5:30PM
denninmi(8a)

Whaas, I have every kind of soil found in the midwest EXCEPT for a true histosol. The area I'm thinking of trying a couple has a rich sandy loam and is under the edge of the canopy of a large shagbark hickory and a large Kentucky coffee. One of my Cornus kousa is planted in this area, and the side facing the canopy of the trees was the only dogwood I had this year with blossoms not damaged by the April freeze incident.

I didn't think of it until just now, but there won't be an allelopathy issue with the hickory, will there? I know they produce a bit of juglone, but I think its far, far less than their walnut cousins.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 6:12PM
alley_cat_gw

Denninmi, Not real sure for your environment, but i can say that acer palmatum 'Emperor 1' is a tough little tree that leafs out later than many and deserves merit.
Also i have a brother that has been growing a maple display area with about 20 cultivars under a real big walnut tree where the hulls are everywhere and the maples dont seem to be bothered at all. Now the voles......thats another story!
AL

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™