invasives

woodsforchloeMarch 16, 2007

I posted on another site then discovered this one. My problem is a small woods along the rum river in Anoka co. I was invaded by Garlic Mustard. At first I was just happy to see something wipe out the wood nettles, until I figured out what it was. I have been trying to confine the nettles to one small section as they are native. However in the rest of the area they were preventing me from seeing the "nice" natives. Another thing rampant is prickly ash. Again it is a native so I am leaving it alone in one section. I know I will always be fighting the nettles and garlic mustard as my neighbors have both and no not have time to control theirs, plus I get new soil and seeds during spring floods. I am looking for aggressive shade natives that will fill in cleared areas and then hold their own.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Try sowing Impatiens capensis, 'jewel weed' - It can even crowd out buckthorn I am told...

Here is a link that might be useful: Here are some pictures of Jewel Weed

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 5:52PM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

I second Julie!

-Marie

ps It's extremely lovely in mass plantings too!

Bookmark   March 17, 2007 at 9:52AM
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

I recently attended an invasive species seminar. Her is the reccomendation for Garlic Mustard: Foliar application of Accord XRT* @1/2-3/4 %. Add in 1/4% surfactant. Applications should be made during fall or early spring to minimize off target damafe to desirable vegetation. I think prickly ash is considered an invasive species. I'll dig out my notes and check.

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™