Why are the leaves drying and going brown?

mssurreyJuly 17, 2007

Hello,

I recently planted a sugar maple tree cultivar (2-3" dia) which was purchased from a nursery (about one month ago). For the last few weeks, the tree has been looking good. Now within a matter of three or four days, the majority of leaves have dried out (have become crispy) and gone brown (just as in fall but without the fall colors). The top leaves are still green but that's only at the very top.

As there is a lot of clay in our yard in some parts of our yard (although the soil seemed good around the tree when excavated), we planted the tree on 4 inches of pea gravel to ensure drainage in winter (as there is some standing water in some parts). Also the soil around the rootball was replaced with a topsoil and peat mix to balance the Ph.

It was then fertilised. Why are the leaves drying out and does this mean the tree is dying?

What can be done? I can email some digital pictures if needed.

Thankl you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mssurrey

I should add that the leaves are starting out a tan sort of color at the tips and then turning light brown.

The temps are in the 80's at this time and I was watering with a hose once a day for about 5 mins until recently when I turned the lawn sprinklers towards the tree for about 10 mins total during the day.

We also planted 2 red maples nearby (20 ft away) which seem to be OK at this time (although their leaves turned slightly reddish in the beginning but have remained the same since).

There is also mulch around the rootball but kept slightly away fom the trunk. Other than that, there is just grass around the tree although the part of the garden in which it is planted is near to wetlands on the back.

Is the problem because of too much or too little water, lack of nutrients, deisease etc?

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 4:51PM
More Discussions
Central lead?
Had this tree planted in the fall and getting increasingly...
libratravel
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Dip N Grow on Maples?
Hey, I was just wondering. Does anyone know if Dip...
Timoth26
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™