Shelling peas vs. deer

kimka(Zone 6B)April 5, 2013

Are deer attracted to shelling peas and snow peas?

My yard backs up to Rock Creek Park, which means I have ravening hordes of deer.
I have to do almost all of my vegetable gardening on my second story deck in pots to keep the deer and raccoons from eating all of the harvest (I don't mind sharing, but I want some of it).

I've never tried shelling and snow peas in the ground (just in pots), but I would like to expand the number of plants I do this year.

Or would I just be putting out another feeding station?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annebert(6b/7a MD)

They'll eat em. But the rotten egg smelling deer repellent has worked very well for me to keep deer off peas and other goodies.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 8:13PM
mzdee(6b)

Last year I used milorganite after an initial attack of the bambi crew. I don't know if it worked or if the drought conditions improved' l'll be putting down my first broadcast today with fingers crossed.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 9:36AM
mdgirl09(7MD)

Our house backs up to a forest conservation area. Last yr, I planted snow peas and snap peas in my veg bed among other veggies. The deer sniffed it out and from then on even the rest of my veggie bed was their buffet. Peas are a favorite of deer. I used the stinky repellent as well, but it seemed to invite raccoons. I wasn't very regular with the repellent so I'm not sure about its efficacy. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:39PM
More Discussions
Green winged things
HI all! I see how dead the board is these days and...
CEFreeman
Nandina 'Plum Passion,' beautiful, but hardy??
Hi. I would love to plant a bunch of Nandina "Plum...
reddbuffalo
any luck with "Bangle Spanish Gorse"?
I saw this plant on Wayside recently, and it might...
trackmom
Leafgro??
I started a new 10' x 12' raised bed this year and...
tinyspaceinannapolis
Native Plant lectures in Baltimore area
Here is a link: http://www.bluewaterbaltimore.org/blog/2015nativeplantlectureseries/ I...
amanda_m
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™