Best Heuchera for Central MD

totallyconfusedApril 21, 2010

Hello everyone. I've been a longtime lurker, but was hoping someone here could help me. I am hoping to add a heuchera or two (anything but green) to a northeast facing bed. I have done quite a bit of reading on-line and have gotten myself completely confused. Can anyone growing heuchera in my area tell me whether villosa or americana is the better choice? Some info suggests that villosa is the plant of choice for hot, humid conditions, yet other info indicates that those plants tend to be weak and short-lived in the garden. Any suggestions based on real-life experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Totally Confused

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

The most vigorous variety in my garden is 'Caramel' which is villosa. 'Midnight Rose' is doing well, but does not grow/multiply too fast. 'Stormy Seas' was planted last fall and looks fantastic so far. Some light colored yellow/lime green varieties are the weakest (do not remember names now).
All Heucheras have to be divided and/or planted deeper from time to time.

I do not have individual Heuchera pictures, but you can see two large 'Caramel' specimens on the right side on this picture:

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 1:09PM
totallyconfused

Thanks. I'll keep those varieties in mind.

Totally Confused

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 3:58PM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Palace Purple, and old variety, has done well for me here for years. I think it's americana, so the rules may not be set in stone.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 7:05PM
avoirgold(z7 MD)

Purple Palace is the only one I can grow with any reliability. I have tried the gold-hued varieties and they always die. But that's just me. It will depend on conditions. The other good thing about Purple Palace is that it is dirt cheap.

Jen

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 9:38AM
peanut01(7VA)

Purple Palace, Amethyst Mist, Peach Melba, and Key Lime Pie have all grown well in VA soil for me.

-David

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
Nandina 'Plum Passion,' beautiful, but hardy??
Hi. I would love to plant a bunch of Nandina "Plum...
reddbuffalo
Jujuge Cuttings
For any jujube growers in the northern VA area, I have...
charlieboring
Looking to add long blooming color to MD flower bed
Can anyone recommend a colorful perennial flower or...
kelly21409
Article on Rain Garden design
Hope this is the right forum: This Philadelphia landscaper...
jkom51
Bottle Trees & Evil Spirits
So I've been a busy bee this season. Thank goodness....
CEFreeman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™