Geisha gone wild

jerry22m(z9FL)July 8, 2009

Anyone have one if so would appreciate its heat, cold, sun tolerance. Thanks Jerry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The main thing about it is its leaves turn up to reveal their undersides when you point a camera at it.

Bookmark   July 8, 2009 at 10:17PM
kaitain4(7)

Mine is still in a pot, gets about 2 hours of morning sun, and seems to be very happy. When I plant it out, the bed it will go in gets slightly more afternoon sun and dappled shade most of the day. Hopefully it will do as well, and perhaps be a little more colorful. So far it does not seem to be especially picky or delicate, but I've only had it a year...

K4

Bookmark   July 11, 2009 at 8:49PM
bodwen(9)

Geisha Gone Wild is a synonym for Shirazz, a cultivar that originated in New Zealand. In commercial production in the North Island of NZ it is grown in full sun only. Light intensity in that area will be as high, if not higher, than anywhere in the USA. As to temperature, my own plants, in pots, tolerate full sun and shade temperatures ranging up to 100deg.F in summer. In the ground they would probably tolerate a higher air temperature providing they are mulched and moisture levels remain constant. It is also extremely vigorous and is best grown in the ground - this link is to a picture of a 3 month old graft with shoots already over 2 feet long: http://www.bodwen-nursery.co.uk/shirazz.html

Shirazz is a sport of Geisha, a semi-prostrate cultivar with delicate variegation and, to my mind, a far more attractive plant. The link below is of a plant photographed in early summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acer palmatum Geisha

Bookmark   July 12, 2009 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Acer palmatum 'Barbara'
Acer palmatum 'Barbara' is listed as a cultivar on...
directorrod
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™