Another chard question

ddunbar(z5 IN)June 13, 2004

Do any of you who sell chard take product to market with minimal insect damage? Although I am not organic, I do try to refrain from using chemicals. In the last week I've noticed a few tiny holes in my chard leaves. Short of dousing with chemicals this time of year, I'm not sure of a solution. So, please let me know if this is acceptable at market.

Thanks, DD

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sue_in_Colorado(about 5)

A few tiny holes, maybe. I've had leaf miners this year & those leaves I won't take.

I've learned to ask other people (friends, employees, etc.) would you buy this? Sometimes we're too critical & other times not critical enough. Other opinions are good.

What we don't take becomes "family food". We know it's fine, but would never sell it - want people to think everything we grow is perfect. If they only knew.

Bookmark   June 22, 2004 at 7:57PM
robin_maine

I take greens with minor damage. I've explained once that "I can't bring myself to use chemicals so we have a few holes." Customers have been so happy to have fresh vegetables again that a hole here and there doesn't matter.

Anything that has more than minimal damage is either eaten here in the house, fed to the livestock or composted.

Bookmark   June 29, 2004 at 4:33PM
ddunbar(z5 IN)

Thanks for the great input. Robin, you echoed my thoughts / practices exactly. I just wanted to make sure that I was being reasonable.
DD

Bookmark   June 29, 2004 at 6:45PM
nettle(z8 Vancouver BC)

get some remay cloth if you can to cover your leafy greens beds, it seems to keep many of the chewers at bay. i try to take the best possible product to market, because i don't want people to associate organic with substandard food. i find the quality of my produce is often better than the conventional growers bring to market. i eat the damaged ones, or take them to the local foodbank, which uses them for soup. the last destination is the compost pile, if other places fail.

Bookmark   July 6, 2004 at 6:27PM
timf7(Z5 40m w Chicag)

Our market customers know we don't use pesticides so they are very tolerant of holes in leaves. I try to pick early in the morning the day of the market. I don't usually wash unless they are wet or dirty, cut off the stalks, put the leaves in a deep lastic bag so they are not exposed to air flow. I put the stalks in the bag, put upsidedown in another bag and into the refridg util time to go to market. Also this process works well to pick the night before. We almost always sell out.

Bookmark   August 2, 2004 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
Hoss seeder
Anyone using a Hoss Seeder? Please post a review. Thanks...
whfpa
Spinach harvest
Testing out these new forums, but I thought I would...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Finding the right market
Other thread getting too long and going in too may...
2ajsmama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™