too late to start herbs?

sjkosko(z7 DC)April 27, 2005

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to this website and brand new to gardening in DC. Posted this on the Herbs forum, but this space is probably more appropriate...

So I just landed a great space (~15'-2.5') in a community garden and am starting my first herb garden outside of Northern Massachusetts. Aie.

Since I only acquired the space last weekend, I haven't started anything indoors and haven't put anything in the ground yet... so, 3 Questions:

1) Is it too late (or too early) to at least pick up some plugs or 4-inchers and stick them in the ground? (My cats destroy anything I put in pots in my solarium.)

2) Where should I go to get them? (Have car, will drive.)

3) What does well in DC? My priority is culinary herbs, but I'm also interested in medicinals, ornamentals, and even wild flowers.

Please advise this anxious yankee!!!

Stacy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
datawiz

Not too late at all. Most instructions way "wait until the last frost" to put things out and officially the average last frost in McLean is April 20 to 30. So you're right on time.

Not too late at all. In fact

Bookmark   April 27, 2005 at 1:25PM
Laurel7286(3b Wyoming)

It's good timing for planting out transplants, probably a little early for direct sowing. I'd wait til the soil gets a bit warmer.
I don't know the nurseries around DC but most discount stores have a reasonable selection in the garden center. The various plant sales going on always have vendors that bring herbs.

OR...You can come to the MAG swap and pick some up for free! (See exchange page)
cheers,
Laurel

Bookmark   April 27, 2005 at 6:32PM
sjkosko(z7 DC)

Hi guys -- thanks for your input!

Laurel, what is a MAG swap? I'm afraid my gardening community lingo is lacking. I checked out the exchange page, but it appears to be hundreds of want ads. What exactly am I looking for?

Thanks!
stacy

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 8:46AM
gardener_sandy

Your timing is great for putting out plants now. If you buy them at the local "big box" stores, just be sure to catch them fresh from the growers, before the store staff has had time to neglect them to death. Check your yellow pages phone book for nurseries near you to find the best plants. They should also have someone on staff that can help you decide what to grow in your area. Plus, you can always check with your local extension agent. They are a great source for literature on anything dealing with horticulture.

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 9:53PM
alfie_md6

Here's what you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: MAG plant swap

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 9:06AM
marymd7

You'll be able to get herb sets at either Behke's in Beltsville or right in DC at Johnson's. There's an herb specific nursery on 214 right near Homestead, but I can't recall the name of it at the moment.

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 3:25PM
emfdvm(4)

A friend and I were out at DeBaggio's (west of Chantilly) about 2 weeks ago and the herbs and scented geraniums were great. They've transferred well to our gardens and we look forward to going back in a week or two for tomatoes and peppers!
Ellen

Here is a link that might be useful: DeBaggio's Herbs

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 9:33PM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Stacy,
MAG= Mid Atlantic Gardening. We are having our spring swap this Saturday in Burtonsville an dthere willbe lots of herbs there.

Bookmark   May 10, 2005 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
Some account related stuff that people have been asking about
A couple of things. If you haven't figured it out yet,...
Larry K
Lariope and Japanese Forest Grass in Zone 7B
Relieved to have found this group! Just cut back my...
khaines1
Nellie Stevens Hollies in Zone 6B?
I am looking for a relatively fast growing evergreen...
jplucas80
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry K
Leafgro??
I started a new 10' x 12' raised bed this year and...
tinyspaceinannapolis
Sponsored Products
Hubbardton Forge Scroll Iron Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Possini Euro 36" Wide Frosted Glass Bath Fixture
Euro Style Lighting
Vase D'Avril Large - Tse & Tse
$265.00 | HORNE
Nelson | George Nelson Bubble Pear Wall Sconce
YLiving.com
Flame Table Lamp by Dform Design
$324.00 | Lumens