when to transplant sweet peas?

Karen JurgensenMarch 24, 2006

Hi all,

I've started my sweet peas inside under lights, and they look great. They're in the basement which is about 60 degrees. When is a good time to transplant them outside? I know they like cool roots...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Hey there Temple Flower-
I copied this out of my notes....
Germinating Lathyrus latifolius Seeds:
Nick perennial sweet pea seeds and soak for 24 hours. Sow outdoors in early spring, 1/4" deep. Or start indoors 6-8 weeks before the last frost date. Hardy to zone 5. Easy to grow. Full sun to part shade. Seeds are poisonous.
It looks to me that you wont be able to put them out in the ground till after the last frost date to be safe.
I have found that sticks or branches put into the pot with them will give them some temperary support. I have been known to carry out pots and trays of seedlings in the am on warm days and bring them back inside for the cold evenings till they harden off or can stand the temps out side and a bed can be prepared.
You may find you will need to transplant them into a larger container to give the roots room to grow till you can plant them in the dirt outside.
I tried to make container plants out of them last year for my mom- but that didn't work too well- even in light containers, the soil was way too warm for them to do well- they were stunted and eventually "baked" in the sun.
I do hope you have better luck than I did with these-
Julie

Bookmark   March 26, 2006 at 8:28AM
More Discussions
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
What vegetables can I still plant from seed as of mid-August?
I just cleaned out the last broccoli, turnip, and cabbage...
nick_b79
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
Favorite hardy roses
I want to add another rose to my garden, so I'd love...
stpaulite
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™