Where to get top soil?

urbanmngardenMarch 19, 2009

I had an old decrepit garage removed from my yard this past fall. We are hoping to turn that space into garden in our backyard. Can anyone suggest a source for top soil? We need enough to cover the area that was the former home of our one car garage. We live in St. Paul.

I really appreciate the help because we have no idea where to get it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crocosmia_mn(z4)

Did you want top soil or did you want good garden soil? All the soil in my garden beds is "1-1-1" from Leitners: it's 1/3 topsoil, 1/3 sand, and 1/3 compost. I have been very, very happy with it. They will deliver or you can pick it up. Soryy, I don't remember what it costs, but I am a cheapskate and I don't remember thinking it wasn't worth it.

Remember that new soil will collapse as it settles, so mound it up much more than looks right at first. Also, it doesn't need to be 24" deep like mine is, but the deeper the better, and be sure to mix it well with the probably barren compacted soil underneath.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 2:11PM
boyle014(Z4)

I've had good luck getting bulk stuff from Kern Landscaping (kernlandscaping.com) in St. Paul. There's a discount if you're a member of MSHS. (That's also true at Leitners).

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 10:24PM
crocosmia_mn(z4)

Yes, Kern is good, too. Also, you can get all the free compost you want at the Ramsey County compost sites if you want to just improve the soil you have (I had no soil under my lawn where I wanted garden beds, just rubble and debris from when our house was built!)

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 11:08PM
SaCollins32

I had a load of bulk topsoil delivered recently - can only recommend these guys, great service and pretty good prices - check out http://www.kdcorecycling.com
This is no advertising, just a recommendation. hope it helps

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 2:50AM
More Discussions
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Wildflower seeds for Mn gardeners
I'm offering free seeds for Mn folks(and other upper...
dandy_line
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Garden Club in Northern Suburbs
Looking for a garden club. Would like to find a group...
doucanoe
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™