osmanthus burkwoodi

puffkit(6b/7a)April 19, 2007

anyone have experience with osmanthus burkwoodi in z6b? i have a os. fortunei that only suffered about 1/3 dieback from this past winter (its in a partially protected area) and am wondering if there are others i can give a try to or might be a bit more hardy than fortunei?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robinsway

Puffkit, I grow several kinds of Osmanthus in my garden, and I can share my experiences with you. The hardiest for me has been O. heterophyllus 'Gulftide' -- almost no damage at all in the last 20 years. Another that has done very well in terms of hardiness is Osmanthus sasaba. Osmanthus armatus is a third that can handle 6b. No real damage to any of them after a spring of alternating warmth and freeze.

Osmanthus fortunei often takes a beating in the winter but fills in well later and keeps on growing. I like it, and I just accept that it really isn't a true evergreen in my area unless it is quite protected.

I have Osmanthus variegata in a protected area, and it still suffers in a rough winter, but always comes back. The Goshiki, which I have only had for 3 years, seems to do better. They are both very slow growers.

Osmanthus americanus usually doesn't have dieback for me, but this spring has produced more damage than I have every seen before on it.

Osmanthus decorus 'Baki Kasapligil' is the closest I have to Osmanthus burkwoodii. I have lost two to deer since this Osmanthus lacks the shiny, sharp leaves that protect the others. The one I have now is next to the house in a warm spot and doing well.

Bookmark   April 23, 2007 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Anyone in the D.C. area want a small hoop house?
I'm in the D.C. area this week and have this to give...
elisa_z5
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry Kahn
Nandina 'Plum Passion,' beautiful, but hardy??
Hi. I would love to plant a bunch of Nandina "Plum...
reddbuffalo
Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)
i am looking for a wholesale nursery that will sell...
maple_man
Leafgro??
I started a new 10' x 12' raised bed this year and...
tinyspaceinannapolis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™