Packaging of Herbs

river22(Z6 OK)June 17, 2007

I am tinkering with the idea of either selling my produce at the Farmer's Market or selling straight to the supermarket. Does anyone here sell fresh herbs? I have lots of Dill ready and have seen it in the supermarket and it looked like they just cut the whole plant down and tied it up. However, I have not seen any at all lately. Would love to get some ideas

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barrie2m_

Many people bag cut herbs in plastic but I've never seen the need to bother for either farmers' market or supermarket sales. I band and stack bunches into plastic containers with a few inches of water added. The water keeps most herbs from wilting. I sell directly from the plastic containers into T-shirt bags and customers expect that freshness.

For supermarkets you may need to ask for their preference. Most have misters and want exposed herbs. One store asked for bunches of herbs and they made smaller bunches before selling them. If they pay by the pound you make the same regardless of bunch size.

Bookmark   June 21, 2007 at 12:44PM
featherandfurrow

I have the same question myself. We are selling to other stores . . . smaller stores that would like to carry fresh produce as well. I don't know how to keep my herbs perky looking. I bought some of those deli cups but I am worried that they don't have sufficient ventilation. Is it better to put them in the cooler or with the other produce (which will be inside in a cooler area but not in a refrigerated case)?

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 2:57PM
barrie2m_

Part of your obligation to your profession is to get the herbs to the store in short order after harvesting. You can also make suggestions to the store of how the herbs might be best displayed. Usually the produce manager or store owner is more educated in produce care than we are.

Avoid taking any herbs in closed plastic containers in your car trunk on a hot day. That is asking for trouble. If you have a long distance to travel consider ice packs or coolers to help keep them fresh. Tender dill will wilt at the drop of a hat so it is especially important to keep it cool.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Micro Greens -- Profitable?
I would like to hear from anyone growing and selling...
heirloom_lady
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business
This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since...
2ajsmama
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™