Head lettuce germination

mlarsen_growerJune 28, 2008

I have been growing head lettuce and baby leaf lettuce for about a year. All of a sudden I can't get my had lettuce to germinate. I sow in a light potting mix in 72 cell. The soil is nice and moist, but not wet. I either sow directly on the soil surface or sew and then cover with a light layer of vermiculite. I then cover the container with plastic wrap to contain the moisture, place on a grow table under light and ... nothing happens. My seed is good because I have sown it directly in the grown for baby lettuce and had no trouble with germination. I have also successfully germinated these varieties previously. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boulderbelt(5/6)

Lettuce needs cool soil and the seeds do not like to be covered so skip the vermiculite covering.

What I do is sow seed directly onto soil blocks, water and cover with a piece of plastic just to keep moisture in the dirt. I do not put them under lights until they germinate.

I know some people put the flats in refrigeration in the summer to get the lettuce to germinate

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 7:19AM
More Discussions
help designing my irrigation system
Hello, quick introduction, My name is Ed and I have...
squashblossom12
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Growing ginger in northern areas
This is my first year growing ginger, I have 10 pounds...
mdfarmer
When to plant hoophouse tomatoes
I had decided that the time to plant out the hoophouse...
kelise_m
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
Sponsored Products
Kas Rugs Blinds & Shades Deco First Rust 8 ft. x 11 ft. Area Rug red SIG91348X11
Home Depot
Rain Downpour Round Showerhead
$299.00 | FRONTGATE
Caruso Oil Rubbed Bronze Adjustable Angle Ceiling Fan with Antique Bamboo Blades
Bellacor
Durrington Cheval 59" High Floor Mirror
Lamps Plus
Akimbo Linear Suspension by Tech Lighting
$840.00 | Lumens
DENY Designs Holly Sharpe Summer Dreaming Outdoor Throw Pillow - 14055-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™