Head lettuce germination

mlarsen_growerJune 28, 2008

I have been growing head lettuce and baby leaf lettuce for about a year. All of a sudden I can't get my had lettuce to germinate. I sow in a light potting mix in 72 cell. The soil is nice and moist, but not wet. I either sow directly on the soil surface or sew and then cover with a light layer of vermiculite. I then cover the container with plastic wrap to contain the moisture, place on a grow table under light and ... nothing happens. My seed is good because I have sown it directly in the grown for baby lettuce and had no trouble with germination. I have also successfully germinated these varieties previously. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boulderbelt(5/6)

Lettuce needs cool soil and the seeds do not like to be covered so skip the vermiculite covering.

What I do is sow seed directly onto soil blocks, water and cover with a piece of plastic just to keep moisture in the dirt. I do not put them under lights until they germinate.

I know some people put the flats in refrigeration in the summer to get the lettuce to germinate

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 7:19AM
More Discussions
Wow, this is different!
Thought I would drop in and see what is happening here,...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Sprayer Value
Hi- I am thinking of buying a used mistblower sprayer,...
erniew
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business
This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since...
2ajsmama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™