A Real Bummer

nurseryman33(4/5)July 27, 2014

It looks like my Autumn Blaze maples have Verticillium Wilt. I'm guessing that the roots finally got out into the farm field, and they probably were damaged by the plow, and then the VW entered through the root wounds. I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but at the same time expecting it someday. I knew better than to plant maples near a farm field, but the price was right and I couldn't think of where else to plant them at the time. So far 3 of the 7 trees are showing it. I'm sure they're all connected underground.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jalcon

Those trees look fine to me?

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 3:30PM
nurseryman33(4/5)

You can see two dying branches on the one on the left, and you can't really see in my terrible photo, but the right side of the top is dying on the third from the left. I climbed up another one that's not in the photo to cut out a couple of dying branches and discovered the trunk all shrunken and black and dead on one side - see new photo.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 7:13PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

How long does Verticillium wilt remain in the soil? I did a quick search and it said a "long time".

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 9:10AM
nurseryman33(4/5)

I'm not sure anyone knows. Probably forever. This picture I took today shows 2 of the 3 affected trees. So far it is every other one (7 trees total).

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™