Roll call for swap on May 10?

sujiwan_gwApril 26, 2014

Hey everyone,

Due to slow msg rate, I posted in a few other forums about the swap and sent them to MidAtl forum for particulars.

Would it be possible to get a roll call for who is coming? It's hard to tell since the Exchange listings for Food/Haves/Wants do not have much activity to date.

I want to give, no....I *must* give you solanaceous plants!!! Frantic potting is underway and dogged by thoughts that I must surely have been insane at seeding time...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
burry(7 Maryland)

I plan to attend this year for the first time. I have heard wonderful things about the swap!

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 4:38PM
ssmdgardener(7)

I'll be there! Still getting my plants potted.

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 10:17PM
nmoswald

I'll be there! Things are finally starting to move along in my garden. I was planning to post our swap info in a hort club list-serve, so I think spreading the news is a good idea.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 1:09PM
CEFreeman(DC/MD Burbs 7B)

I'm coming.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 2:12PM
annebert(6b/7a MD)

I'll be there!

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 6:40PM
gardnwatch

I will be coming. Sujiwan...I will take all the tomatoes, eggplants, peppers etc that you can spare. I've got a great big veggie garden this year just waiting to be filled with your plants.
Bonnie

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 1:34PM
HotHabaneroLady(7a Central MD)

I plan on coming! My mother and I are co-gardening a plot this year as a mother-daughter project, so I am going to bring her too.

The top of my want list would be tabasco pepper plants. Some herbs and maybe some other peppers would also be nice. I have heirloom tomatoes and maybe some seeds to give in exchange! I might even be willing to part with some of my own peppers, although that's iffy . . . it has been a difficult year for starting them.

If there is an address, that would help me find the place because I could GPS it! But I understand if people don't want to post it.

Angie

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 9:27AM
chrismd(7)

Yes, I am coming.

I think we should seriously consider moving this swap off Gardenweb. Gardenweb seems stagnant to me. Anyone have any suggestions, ideas? What I see on Freecycle, etc is that there are plenty of gardeners who would participate if we can get the message out.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 11:41AM
chrismd(7)

Also, I think a lot of our regulars are winging it - we've got the routine down.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 11:45AM
sujiwan_gw

I think it would be good to expand but because this is a private venue at GardenGramma's you want to have a filter. Maybe the Freecycle groups in your area are a little different. *Some* freecyclers I've met are kinda...well...looking for deals. That's why Gardenweb people attending works because there's already a sort of garden lover selection going on. How about garden clubs in our area or Master Gardener groups?
Hope you are right about the regulars.

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 12:37PM
colleensworld

I am coming and hopefully bringing a few neighbors. I look forward as always to going. Thanks!

Bookmark   May 1, 2014 at 4:53PM
CEFreeman(DC/MD Burbs 7B)

I was thinking about Hometalk, but it's pretty nonselective. Does anyone here blog? That's an interesting way to spread the word to people who are actually interested.

Christine

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 9:34AM
herbal(z7 MD)

I'll be there. I agree that many people may know the routine and will show up. I can't wait! It's my one untouchable day of the year. Nothing competes with it. Free plants, great conversation and Henrietta's garden of immense beauty... I'm sooo there.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 10:16PM
busyasabee(7MD)

I will be there.

Jette

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 12:03AM
springplanter

me too
Carol

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 2:16PM
wtgxi(7 MD)

It has been so cold this year, I can't believe it is time again. Wont miss it for the world. thanks again grandma

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 2:17PM
kilngod z6b(Zone 6b)

I'll be there!

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 9:15PM
soiljunkie(7a)

I will be there, too. Still potting...

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 9:54AM
sujiwan_gw

Oh boy--bring umbrellas! I'm glad we do this rain or shine. :-)
Bringing van full of tomatoes/eggplants and truck full of peppers this year.

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 6:49PM
Beth1423(z7 MD)

I am returning after a few years off!

Beth

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 10:52PM
chrismd(7)

Sujiwan - I agree that it would not be wise to put this event up on Freecycle for the reasons you suggest. My Freecycle comment only means that I am sure there are many congenial gardeners out there who would be happy to participate, but how do we reach them? Do we want to move this event to Meetup or is there another possibility? Do we want to have a sign-up email list like Yahoo?

Just exploring possibilities....

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 1:39PM
sujiwan_gw

Hi Chrismd,

How did you find the turn out numbers to be this year? It felt like maybe there were more people than last year, but I could be wrong.

I kind of like the Meetup idea, but it would have to be OK'd with Henrietta since they have been hosting for a long time. The advantage is that it would be new people who join that out of common interests.

The problem with closed/"inbred" swaps is that we start to see most of the same things offered each year. I see this with my garden club-we all have each other's stuff. I kind of feel obligated to do the tomato-pepper-eggplant thing because so many people want them. I do vary my varieties at least. But-- It's good to always have new people who bring a fresh set of offerings and that find what we have to be new to them.

I think Freecycle could be OK except it is geared toward people coming to take, rather than swapping (in my experience). It would be cool to have a venue like a giant flea market situation where it's always fun and a surprise to see what you can find. However, at those, someone is usually having to man a table and can't walk around as the object is $.

Anyway, why are the forums like MidAtl so quiet these days? What is taking their place? Is forum discussion age related ? Love to see the demographics for GardenWeb and which forum is most active.

Sue (Sujiwan)

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Nandina 'Plum Passion,' beautiful, but hardy??
Hi. I would love to plant a bunch of Nandina "Plum...
reddbuffalo
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry Kahn
Ok, I've got this bird...
that by all glimpses and pictures, indicates it might...
CEFreeman_GW
Not a serious Spring Swap post (yet)
Just wanted everyone to know that Henrietta called...
Larry Kahn
Jujuge Cuttings
For any jujube growers in the northern VA area, I have...
charlieboring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™