Has anyone grown Acer floridanum (aka barbatum) in zone 6/7?

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)July 17, 2013

I'm curious about this. Standard acer saccharums usually do well here, if given "room to move", i.e., NOT as a street tree, and not in soil that is too dry (south slope) or too heavy or wet all the time. As far as summer heat, they seem to do OK, again, if not near pavement & in a good, relatively well-drained location. However, as street trees, they struggle.

I'm wondering if the more southerly Southern Sugar Maple (or Florida Maple, if you prefer), Acer floridanum (or barbatum...so many names), with it's better tolerance of long, hot summers, would survive, and be worth trying, in the Mid-Atlantic. We're basically zone 7a, right at the edge of 6b...we've hit zero degrees exactly once in the 6 years I've lived here.

My main thought is that it would have an edge in places like parking lots where soils are hotter, drier, and more alkaline than they "normally" are here.

I've seen A. floridanum rated to zone 7, but some places say 6 or 6b.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kchd(7b/8a MS)

I can't comment on your zone, but I think your acidic soils would not be a problem. We have Acer barbatum here in MS, in natural stands in the Tombigbee National Forest, and it grows in our acidic soils. Perhaps you could find some growing at the northern end of its range, and those populations may be more cold hardy. It's a lovely tree, one I was seeking for quite awhile.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
Eric's Weeping Japanese Maple
I was at Home Depot yesterday and got this Eric's Japanese...
Allan870
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™