Calla Lilies

jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)March 11, 2007

I have never grown Calla Lilies, but I think I would like to try. I think the big red leaves would look kewl in my garden! Anyone have any hints or suggestions for me?

What type? How do I start them? How many makes a nice display?

Thanks

Jenny P

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

Do you mean Cannas? The easiest way is from rhizomes, for earlier bloom you may want to start them in a pot inside and plant them out when the weather is warmed. Some have striped leaves, some plain green. As to the type you just have to see what you like. Check out Old House Gardens.

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 10:44PM
belle_michele(zone4Minnesota)

If you are talking about Calla lilies, your best bet would be to plant them in pots or plant them in areas where you can easily did them up in the fall. Calla lilies (not a 'true' lily, by the way) are not hardy here. You would either have to treat them as an annual or dig them up and bring them inside much like you would Canna lilies...Calla/Canna, which ever you mean/choose, you will have to dig up in the fall and store in a dry/cool place for the winter.

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 3:43PM
jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)

LOL Now I am confused! I knew they were not hardy here and I would have to dig the. When looking at pictures in my catalogs or on-line they only show the flowers! What I want I want more for the big leaves. The flowers are secondary. Now I don't know which one, Calla or Canna!

Jenny P

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 5:19PM
belle_michele(zone4Minnesota)

Canna is the one that has the spectacular leaves...they can be very large AND very colorful!
American Meadows has both on sale, but here is one of their Cannas that not only has a beautiful flower but also some striking folage:

http://www.americanmeadows.com/SpringFlowerBulbs/CallasCannas/OrangeCannaLilywithvarigatedfoliageStripedWonder.aspx

I've used American Meadows for Peonys and Lilies for the past few years and have always been VERY pleased with the size/quality of their bulbs for the price...

Look at both the Canna and the Calla lilies and hopefully this will help clear things up.

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 7:37PM
jennypat Zone 3b NW MN(Zone 3b NW MN)

Thanks Michelle! That's actually the web site I was looking at, they have some other things I would like. And I thought as long as I was ordering I would try something I had never done before.

Now I need to decide what to order!

Jenny P

Bookmark   March 12, 2007 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
Strawberries in strawbales?
Has anyone here done the strawbale gardening? A book...
wiillbeane
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
Kelley Farm seed exchange free 3/8/15
Kelley Farm between Elk River and Ramsey will have...
little_minnie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™