Deer Resistant Perennials

betha4aMarch 6, 2008

I've just moved into this house, and I've seen lots of deer in our yard (we back up to woods). I would love suggestions on sun and shade loving perennials. Thanks, Beth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Here is a good article with lists.

Here is a link that might be useful: deer resistand plants

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 9:07AM
sprout_wi(z4 WI)

Beth- I don't know if you have had any luck keeping the deer away, but I have a suggestion. Milorganite. I get a big bag at the garden center for under $10 and pour about a half cup on the most deer-popular plants (I have lots of hostas). It is also a good fertilizer and lasts pretty much all summer.

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 12:06AM
dsfritz(z3WI)

In my experience Milorganite only works for awhile. Once the deer get acclimated to the smell, it no longer works. The best solution for me has been Liquid Fence. I experienced so many frustrations of deer eating everything until I started using this product. Now I spray my plants once every 2 weeks or so in the spring and then once a month after that and the deer stay away. It's been great.

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 9:27PM
butterbug

Congratulations on your new home. I am new to this website and this is my first post. Anyhoo, I also have deer issues. the only place I can garden is in a fenced area in front. In the non-fenced areas: The deer will not touch rhubarb, which even if you do not like to eat it, does have pretty leaves. They also do not touch peonies. I had 3 large peony bushes in back and they did not bother those. I now have 11 bushes in front and none of the blooms (they actually bloomed the first year :) have been touched). They usually do not touch daylilies, except for the buds, which I just noticed to day they munched off about 3/4 of the new buds. i have also had luck with irises. Most of the "tricks" do not work with the deer I have, probably because they are city deer, so they are not as picky with what they eat. But these plants have held strong against the deer invasion(or human invasion depending on how you look at it. Oh, coneflowers are very deer-resistant also. Best of luck to you.

Bookmark   June 25, 2008 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Looking for narrow shrub that can handle part shade and dry soil
Hello, My husband and I have a privacy screen made...
brian_forney
Sponsored Products
Vondom | Biophilia Sofa Illuminated
YLiving.com
Radial Forest Green 16-Inch Outdoor Pendant with Black Cord
$135.95 | Bellacor
SnoozeSofa Pet Bed Dog Bed
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
Abetta Serenity Endurance Saddle - 205545BK
$451.45 | Hayneedle
New Pol Outdoor Bollard by SLV
$702.00 | Lumens
Outdoor Lighting. Mariner Collection Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Matte Black Ligh
$53.20 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™