Anyone recognize this tree?

christy2828(8a)April 14, 2006

I have this tree in my backyard with white blooms on top, and pink blooms on the bottom. It is about 4 stories tall. There is also one in the front yard with only pink blooms. I do believe they are the same kind of tree, but why the different blooms? And what kind of tree is it? It also has small berries that they birds eat after it blooms. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yahoo Pictures

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Laurel7286(3b Wyoming)

Looks like a flowering crabapple to me. They often have pink blooms that fade to white the more sun there is.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 7:59PM
christy2828(8a)

I doesn't fade to white. Literally, the upper portion of the tree is white blooms, and the bottom portion of the tree is pink blooms. Many of these trees are in my neighborhood and almost all are completely pink. There is one small one at the beginning of the neighborhood that is half and half also. There is no chance that it is two different trees.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 9:11PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

It could either be a sport or some grafted branches at the top. This looks like what has become popular as street trees here - Prunus serrulata (Japanese Cherry). There are a bunch of cultivars ('Kwanzan' is what is mostly planted here). 'Mt. Fuji' looks like it has pink buds that open to white.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kwanzan Cherry

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 9:52AM
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

My guess would be kwanzan cherry also. Here's a close-up pic of the blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kwanzan cherry

Bookmark   April 15, 2006 at 4:59PM
babywatson(7)

I had a flowering crabapple in front of my old house that dropped berries after it bloomed. It bloomed in April almost entirely white. That's exactly what the picture looks like to me.

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 6:38PM
lrobins(z5 CO)

That's really interesting - I think it's a flowering crabapple grafted onto a Kwanzan cherry. The white flowers look apple-like. Kwanzan cherry trees (I mean the ordinary, ungrafted kind) do not bear fruit. Do the "berries" occur on the upper part of the tree where the white flowers are now? Many ornamental crabapple varieties have been bred for very small fruit, the size of berries.

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 8:51PM
christy2828(8a)

I posted this one the 'Name that Plant' forum. Please check it, it's very interesting what they've come up with!!

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 9:08PM
lrobins(z5 CO)

Let's post a link to the other thread and not leave everyone in suspense! This mystery has a "sweet" solution, not the one I suggested. May you can guess the answer from my clue before reading link.

Here is a link that might be useful: fruity white flowers above

Bookmark   April 16, 2006 at 10:40PM
christy2828(8a)

Hehe, thanks!! I feel like I have a beautiful and special tree. Thanks for your help!! Christy

Bookmark   April 17, 2006 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Houzz takeover not promising
So far this bites, but I did send them a comment email...
Larry Kahn
Flowers that will bloom by June 20th in Zone 7a?
Getting married June 20th and want to grow some of...
Morcar21
Sweet Potatoes Curled
This was my first year trying to grow sweet potatoes....
freedomeagle
Raspberries or Blackberries for northern VA
Hi, Well I posted something about honeyberries and...
zendog
2015 Spring Swap Dates Survey
Here's the survey. For each of the dates you can put...
Larry Kahn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™