selling plants from home

czmlsJuly 15, 2008

Does anybody know/understand if it is legal to sell your own plants grown at home? I grow my plants from seed every year and always grow too many! I'd love to have a little plant sale of sorts but definitely don't want to if I'm going to get into legal trouble. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grannymarsh(z4-5 U.P. MICH)

You could post an ad in your local 'Shopper" and have a yard sale.
You may need to check your local codes, call your township office. (or whatever it is called in your area.)

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 9:57AM
john_bonzo

Some plants have patents and are illegal to propagate...I would do a little research before having a sale.

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 4:22PM
christiw(Ohio, Zone 6)

Depends on your state regulations. I was wondering the same thing so I looked up Ohio Dept of Agriculture and emailed them. In Ohio, you are allowed to sell less than $200 in perennials each year without being licenced. They do not regulate annuals or herbs. Licensure requires an annual fee and inspection of your greenhouse/growing area for bugs, mold, etc. Google your state's dept of agriculture and they should be able to give you the answers you want.

-Christi

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 9:55PM
applepink

As long as it's not marijuana then it's legal. LOL
But seriously, that depends on your state laws, where are you located anyway? Laws vary from state to state so I think it's best to do some research about your state laws to learn more. :) Good luck!

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 3:45AM
bloosquall(Wa 6)

do you really think anybody cares if you're selling some plants from your driveway or front lawn. unless you have busy body neighbor I wouldn't stress over it.

What are "they" going to do...come tell you to stop selling plants ?

Bookmark   February 7, 2009 at 9:36PM
herbalbetty

In NY state, the tax man and the licensing dept would be pretty angry. Heck, they regulate garage sales too!

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 6:42AM
bloosquall(Wa 6)

Betty,

I'm glad I live in a tiny burg of a town in WA, The city doesn't get involved in anybody's business unless somebody complains, then they have to look into it. Or unless it's blatantly wrong and out in the open. such as building a 1200 sq ft shop without a permit..whoops, I guess I was asking for that one.

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 12:19AM
More Discussions
Winter markets, going better?
We had another winter market last Saturday. Due to...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
Herbs at market
I am going to be selling more of a variety of potted...
pryz123
Question about greenhouse ventilation
Hey all, We have a 30' x 48' gothic greenhouse with...
secondspring
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™