Sorrel and other salad mix questions

2ajsmamaJuly 3, 2013

Just picked greens - I plan on mixing red and green looseleaf lettuce and selling by the gallon like I did last year, and then quarts of the specialty greens. I have some maruba santoh (mild like baby bok choy), lots of tatsoi (dark green) but that's it for mild, for spicy I have lots of arugula and Green Wave mustard - only picked small leaves, as thinking doing separate quarts mild and spicy. Don't know about selling mustard greens (bigger ones) by themselves? Also a lot of kale - mix the baby leaves in the quarts or just sell bunches of the bigger leaves (practically whole heads were going for $3 last week at different market, though wholesale price list from state has it going $1/stem)?

I have lots of green and red sorrel - a lemony flavor. Mix that in with the mild or sell separately? By the stem/sprig (like tarragon and oregano)? Or big bunches like spinach?

Not buying Burpee seeds anymore - certainly not lettuce. Going to try transplants later in the season, just wanted to get these picked before they bolted in 90-degree heat this weekend. Still have lots of Red Salad Bowl but dense sowing didn't work out - heads are tiny, I basically just thinned today but will have to pull it out before zukes overrun it (or it bolts, whichever comes first).

I also have 15 French Breakfast radishes (on the small side though seeded 5 weeks ago, I picked all that had started to bulb up). Sell those separately (25 cents each, 5 for $1?) or put 1-2 in each quart with "spicy" greens?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2ajsmama

Sold 1 gal of salad mix - and I mixed the arugula, etc. in with it, so didn't sell quarts separately. I did get $3 for that gallon, but I had spent $8 on green lettuce to round out my greens (for some reason only Red Salad Bowl and arugula was coming up from the packet I sowed - twice). Sold all my radishes for 25 cents each but it seems all anyone wanted today was Blackberry Preserves - and a couple jars of strawberry jam.

Didn't seem to have as many vendors today, entertainment never showed up (though they did get a sub about halfway through, played recorded music til then, weird playlist, Rolling Stones and Bing Crosby). Hard to tell, but most customers were just picking up CSA shares from 1 farm, poking around the others. Not as many as I would have expected day before holiday. Italian ice guy did a good business near 90 and muggy. At least it didn't rain.

I don't think I'll go again (paying by the week) until I have lots of summer veggies, but wonder if the other farms (2 certified organic, 1 like me no spray - the guy who sells maple syrup plus veggies - and 1 conventional) have a lock on the veggie market at this location?

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 7:13PM
greendot(6)

The week of the 4th of July is always very slow at the market I sell at. It is one of the most popular weeks for people to be away on vacation.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 8:42AM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

I sell sorrel on its own, since its customers are specifically looking for it, while others don't care for it.

Radishes - I sell by the quarter lb or half lb.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 3:35PM
2ajsmama

Too late - I pulled all the sorrel (unless I missed some around the fence) when I transplanted and mulched squash. I sold all the radishes that were ready last week and DH ate the rest the other night. Going to have to pull the arugula too since it's bolting and I want more room for zukes.

I guess someone had tomatoes last week (I don't know who), it was mentioned in this week's blog post by the market master. Beets too. I probably won't have tomatoes til Sept at this rate (my "earlies" aren't setting except for 2 Latah). Cukes and squash are coming along, don't know if I can go with just those (and maybe some oregano & dill, basil is too small to cut next week) if I have them. Wild raspberries are crumbly, time to make jam but I don't know how much to charge - more than for strawberry since they're so hard to pick, takes so long to get 1 lb. Not enough cultivated RB and they got sunscald. Might have some blueberries if I can get them b4 the birds do. Beans are just starting to flower, not sure when those will be ready.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Micro Green mix help
Lately, I've been getting demand for micro greens in...
theripetomatofarm
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
Tomato grafting
I've been thinking of trying it for a few years, and...
grow_life
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™