(scales) selling by the pound

pitterpat_2009July 17, 2014

Can anyone recommend a brand of digital scale to buy for selling beans and tomatoes mostly heirloom by the pound.
I have been selling by quarts but find some only want 2 to 3 tomatoes, heirlooms I have been selling by the size.
I have a digital scale that totals dollar amount but can't read it at all out side at farmers market.
Any suggestions as to a good readable outside digital scale would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mdfarmer

You may want to check with your state Department of Weights and Measures before you buy a scale. Here in Maryland, I have to pay $50 a year to use a scale at the market, which is a total ripoff so I'm trying to phase it out. I spoke to Weights and Measures before purchasing a scale and was told that if I bought a scale that was listed as Legal for Trade, they could certify me over the phone, and that an inspector would later visit me at the market to test the scale.

So that's what I did, I bought the Easy Weigh CK-30, which I like. I mostly use it to weigh things out and put them in pint/quart containers or bag them up by the pound, because people at my market don't like using the scale and buying in bulk. I'm not sure that I can completely do away with the scale, but I'm trying.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 10:35AM
randy41_1

i've got a tor-rey price computing scale that i bought from southwest scales online. it has held up well for 3 or 4 years now. its capacity is 40 lbs. not easy to see the numbers if the sun is shining directly on it. the tray is a little small. but it passed inspection and does the job.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 10:53AM
Korn_Kat

We use the CK30 as well and so far, it has worked well at our farm stand.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 11:09AM
2ajsmama

I bought an Easy-Weigh PX-6 on eBay, it's worked well but battery went dead b/c I didn't disconnect it over winter even though scale wasn't on. I bought 2 replacement batteries from Battery Shark(s?) and plan on charging both so I can swap out at market if one runs down (it's happened before). Capacity is only 6 lbs but that's enough for market - unless my personal sized melons get bigger than I expect but I plan on just selling those by each.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:59AM
pitterpat_2009

thanks randy for the computing model you suggest, I will google and do some research on the ck-30 as well
thanks

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:26PM
whfpa

I use the Tor Rey scale also and would recommend it. Easy to use and the price computing is a great feature. It's also certifiable and right on the money with weigh.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:23AM
More Discussions
Growing ginger in northern areas
This is my first year growing ginger, I have 10 pounds...
mdfarmer
Hoss seeder
Anyone using a Hoss Seeder? Please post a review. Thanks...
whfpa
I had my best germination/seedling growth ever this year....
Well, instead of buying my plug mix this year, I made...
theripetomatofarm
Turnip Greens
There are always people asking about turnips greens...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Bed Shaper
Quick question, does anyone use a bed shaper? I am...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™