price for basil

mbrown297(6b)July 24, 2004

For the past month or so I have been selling basil, about six pounds a week, to an upscale restaurant near my home for $8/lb. I got that price from a post I saw some time ago. I would like to know what others charge for basil at restaurants. I asked a health food store nearby and they offered $5/lb. There aren't any farmers markets nearby so my only choice right now is to sell to stores or restaurants.

Thanks all for your help.

Michael

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brian_kc0kfg(z4 MN)

Are there any other growers in the area?
I ask for 2 resons 1.If you are "THE" grower in your area you can charge what you want they will pay .
2.If there are other growers of anything why dont you look at starting a market I think it would benfit all of you and your town.

Bookmark   July 24, 2004 at 11:56AM
gponder(7/South OR)

Look under the "Keeping Basil Fresh" post for some info on pricing. I am certified organic and get $18.00 a pound for perfect leaves, washed and bagged. $5.00 a lb seems awfully low.
Good Luck.
GP

Bookmark   July 25, 2004 at 11:18PM
pattimelt(z5/nw)

Does anyone sell pesto? If so what kind of price do you get? Also,is it frozen or can you process it?

Bookmark   July 26, 2004 at 12:44AM
mbrown297(6b)

GP - Is $18/lb the price you get retail at the market? I am charging $8/lb to a restaurant. I pick it and deliver it as is in a bushel basket. The $5/lb price was quoted from a health food store by the pound. However, at the same time I am selling them bags of basil (about 2-3 cups worth) with a recipe for $1.25 each.
Mike

Bookmark   July 27, 2004 at 7:48AM
garliclady(z7 NC)

I sell mine $10-14 lbs $10 is usually with stalks and $12-$14 leaves only. $10.00lbs to resturants (leaves only)

Bookmark   July 27, 2004 at 11:37AM
herbladypat(z6PA)

Mine is .90/oz for specialty basils (purple, African blue, cinnamon, etc.) Price per # for regular Italian is $12.00, greenhouse grown so no dirt & includes some stem. Micro basil is $2.00/oz, $32.00/lb. I'm selling as much micro to restaurants as the regular size & that will increase as heirloom tomatoes are ready. We also grow a petite blend of purple, Italian & lemon which is a great seller.

Bookmark   July 27, 2004 at 7:32PM
gponder(7/South OR)

Mike:
The $18.00 price is what I get at our local growers markets.I grow the large leaf Italian basil. Again, they are leaves only, perfect, certified organic and packed in air tight cellulose bags. Restaurant owners and chefs buy from me and don't have a problem with paying for high quality basil. I suggest you check prices at your local growers market/s to see if your prices are too low. Don't sell yourself short. We growers work hard and should be compensated fairly.

Bookmark   July 27, 2004 at 8:17PM
scottHF

I've been selling basil for $8/lb

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 1:06PM
myfamilysfarm

Old post popping up. In 2003, I was getting $12-20 per lb, depending upon amount.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 5:48PM
lefeavers

It's 2014, & 2.50$ an oz. At Walmart &,. So I'm glad ya' ll stopped by mine organic (D.EARTH) & cleaned...... Thanks

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Putting down plastic mulch inside and outside.
While there are many methods, techniques and tricks,...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Tomatoes looking good!
I went "all in" and planted my big tomatoes...
Bed Shaper
Quick question, does anyone use a bed shaper? I am...
When to plant hoophouse tomatoes
I had decided that the time to plant out the hoophouse...
kelise_m
Advice for Farm Stand Newbies
Hello! Cant tell you how much I have enjoyed reading...
Marquisa
Sponsored Products
Chintaly Cheri Dining Table with Extension - Solid Oak - CHERI-DT
$607.42 | Hayneedle
Armen Living Centennial Sofa - Charcoal - LCCN3CH
Hayneedle
Summer Hill Serving Buffet - Cotton - 987670
Hayneedle
Linon Maybella Sofa Bed - 42004PEB-01-KD-U
$264.99 | Hayneedle
Global Amici Valencia Recycled Hiball Glass - Set of 6 - Z7AS001S6R
$37.42 | Hayneedle