Pole beans or bush

pitterpat_2009July 17, 2014

I am thinking of putting in Kentucky wonder pole beans where my peas were, is there any difference in flavor as far as customer preference if anyone has tried pole beans seems they would be much easier to harvest.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clinchbilly(6)

Pole beans are more work at first but when it comes to picking them youll love them compared to bush type. I have good luck with turkey craw.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 2:47PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

Yes they taste way better than bush.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 9:51PM
rustico_2009

With bush beans I make 0-1 passes and then pull the whole plant and let my kids collect all the beans, not much lost if any.

I grew the purple Italian pole beans this year and they are gorgeous and taste great but cook up pretty ugly. Good enough to eat raw though.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 1:05AM
2ajsmama

I grew KW and Bush Blue Lake last year and everyone preferred the BL. So this year I'm doing the pole version of BL to get the extended harvest though on an interior raised bed I may need a ladder (last year grew on last bed by fence, I could reach most from inside since that bed was lower, DS was tall enough to get the ones on outside though the land dips).

I'm also growing bush versions of Cherokee Wax, Jackson Wonder and Tendergreen so we'll see how it goes. CW has a few thread-sized beans, other bushes have flowers but the pole beans have very few, they're still climbing.

KW got strings when they got bigger, and even picked when stringless they have a pretty strong taste, people at market preferred the "round beans" and even DS who loves green beans with garlic (no butter!) preferred the BL. So a lot of KW got blanched and frozen in small packs to throw in soup.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:53AM
pitterpat_2009

Thanks for the comments on variety, I will look into those just hope we have a late fall to get them at harvest stage, I am planting this weekend after I finish cleaning out the sugar snap peas ....thanks again.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:18PM
2ajsmama

Another thing is that bush beans typically have shorter DTM than pole types....

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 8:51PM
skatcon(z3 MN)

My favorite bean is Rattlesnake. I grow Provider for some early beans but Rattlesnake pole bean is my main crop. They start bearing later but bear heavily. They have purple splotches that disappear when cooked. They are very tender and very sweet. So much easier to pick.
Kathy

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
Tomato grafting
I've been thinking of trying it for a few years, and...
grow_life
The new season has started
First planting of carrots are planted. Sorry the picture...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
Gotta do something to increase sales, stay in business
This year was the worst yet, I've been doing this since...
2ajsmama
Bed Shaper
Quick question, does anyone use a bed shaper? I am...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™