Container potted Japanese Maple...left outdoors during winter?

cadillactasteAugust 29, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to read my post...I am considering doing a fairy garden or childhood memory garden. I was considering adding a miniature JM and hanging a mini tire swing from a branch.

Not sure if the outdoor garden that will be in a container will need to be brought in during winter months if I planted a JM in it.. This would decide my size of container I did use.

Also some suggestion as to which miniature JM for this task would be appreciated as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

We need to know what zone you're in, or better yet, general location where you live.
Mike

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 2:18PM
cadillactaste

So sorry about that...that would be helpful wouldn't it. I live in N.E.Ohio,which our area is a Zone 5.

Thanks Mike!

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 3:36PM
gardengal48

Zone 5 is pretty much the lower hardiness range for Japanese maples. Any container-grown JM will need winter protection in your climate - either indoors under low heat or sunk in the ground. And it really doesn't matter what size container.

And 'miniature' JM's is a bit misleading :-) Sure, there are dwarf varieties but even dwarfs grow. And often faster than you would expect. I'd take mature size listings for dwarf JM's you find online with a large grain of salt - they tend to be seriously understated. Both my dwarf 'Mikawa Yatsubusa' and 'Hupp's Dwarf' - not supposed to exceed 4-5 feet - are already close to 4' feet tall and still very young. And are low graft plants as well. I know of one Mikawa planted inground that is around 15' tall!!

I've included a pretty good link for "dwarf" JM's - but keep in mind these guys - like all other trees - just keep on growing :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: dwarf Japanese maples

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 3:57PM
cadillactaste

Thanks GardenGal48...I guess I hadn't realized that. I just assumed ones put them in containers they must stay small. And doing a Google search they showed tiny trees in planters. Some even shallow planters.

Re-thinking tree idea...

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 4:54PM
gardengal48

Tiny trees in shallow planters are bonsai :-) Very doable with Japanese maples but a LOT more work than simply growing a tree in a container. Which in itself is a lot more work than growing the same tree in the ground.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 5:30PM
cadillactaste

A lot of work...Hm-mmm Not sure I wish to get in under my head on this project. I want to enjoy it not have it have the best of me.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
Has anyone ordered a Jap. Maple online
Looking for a lace leaf japanese maple around 3 Gal....
420benz
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
Burlapping maples - any dangers?
We had a very harsh winter last year and I lost a couple...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™