Planting Mesclun, Radishes, Sweet Peas

linda_in_mn(4)April 5, 2009

Is it too early to plant these? The seed packets say April and I was thinking of planting them the middle of this week. What will happen if it snows again??? If you can't tell, this will be my first time sowing these cold weather vegetables.

Any help/hints would be wonderful, thanks, Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boyle014(Z4)

I think it's a bit too early, even for those cool season crops. Today the average minimum in MN is 33 F, but if you look at record lows, you see it often gets much colder than that well into May.

MN's last average frost date is between May 1 and May 31. The cool season crops can be planted about three weeks before the last frost. I'll plant my mesclun, chard, beets, etc. toward the end of April.

If you rig up a cold frame or greenhouse, you could start earlier though.

Once they're planted, can they survive a snow? It depends on how cold it gets and for how long. I'll cover them with a sheet for short cold spells and they survive fine.

Bookmark   April 5, 2009 at 5:26PM
linda_in_mn(4)

I should have mentioned that since I am somewhat disabled all my plantings will be in containers. My husband wanted to know why I wasn't going to put these cold crop containers on our back sun porch. It's warmer because of the house, but the screens are all comvered, so I can get plenty of sun without having to worry about snow. I will try one bowl of the mesclun this week, put it on the porch, and just see what happens.

Thanks for jogging our brains with the coldframe reference or my DH would never had reminded me I could use the porch.

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 2:00AM
bitterwort

Linda, do try the bowl of mesclun. I planted a bowl outside in an unheated greenhouse a couple weeks ago and it's nicely sprouted, as are the spinach and most lettuces and bachelor buttons and poppies planted at the same time. The sweet peas, alas, are still no-shows, but I still have hope.

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 12:59AM
More Discussions
What to do with all of my Kale?
I grew kale for the first time and really have a beautiful...
vpeterson
Gardening club in Lakeville?
Does anyone know if there is a gardening club in Lakeville?...
debrajeanette
Help ID'ing blue flowers
Some of you may remember my neighbor, Sara, who was...
jel48
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
Low Hedge as a Snow Fence?
We have a long sidewalk from the house to the garage....
dlynettef
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™