Spring plant exchange

zenpotter(z4 MN)April 4, 2010

I am checking to see if there is any interest in a spring plant exchange? I know I will have lots to share and would love to see an exchange. I would be happy to host it or help someone else organize it.

For those of you who have never attended one they are great fun. People pot up plants to share (they can be small or large or any size in between), bring in magazines and books and of course a pot luck dish to share for a fun meal. We get to put faces to the names and end up being friends that we will see at least a few times a year and maybe more. In the past there have been spring and fall exchanges as well as a mid-winter seed exchange.

Everyone puts out the plants they brought. There is time to look around at what is out there and then the plants are taken in a organized manner so everyone gets at least some of what they really want. It is done in rounds with round one being the choice of one plant, round two, two plants and so on.

As far as pots go, you can use paper cups, extra plastic pots, tubers are put into newspaper etc. It is a relaxed and fun time. I have many plants that I got from exchanges.

If you are new to gardening you can just come along and get some plants to start you out. There are enough of us with plants to share that that isn't a problem.

I would propose May 15th or 16th as a good time to have the trade.

If this happens more directions will follow. At this point I am just putting the idea out there to see if I should go ahead with an exchange.

If anyone wants more info send me an email with your phone number and I will give you a call.

Please let me know of interest and if one of the dates works for you. I guess it would help to let you know I live in South Minneapolis near Lake Nokomis.

Pauline

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Yes, I also have lots to share. Got a few clematis in 1 gal pots for a dollar each last fall. All were the same variety so I will bring a couple to exchange. If I remember correctly they are Barbara Jackman but I am not sure as haven't removed the mulch around them yet.

It is always a fun time with great plants from GW friends.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 11:42AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

There are two of us so far.

Bookmark   April 4, 2010 at 11:57AM
mean_74(4A)

I am interested, but am located in Winona. We drive up to the metro every weekend in April for Hockey and will probably not want to travel up again in May.

Thanks,

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 12:31PM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

Pauline, Gary and I will do our best to get there. May is a little earlier then we thought it would be, since it's usually been the first or second weekend of June, but I think we can still make it. Gary had a great time when I brought him last year and has been talking about the spring 2010 swap for a couple of months now!

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 9:34AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Right now we have 2 yes and 2 maybe. Lets see what happens in the next two to three weeks. The weekend I proposed is 5 weeks away so there is still time to get it together.

I will pot up plants to either trade or give away as I work in the garden. I hope we get enough for a trade though. It would be fun.

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 10:26AM
thisismelissa(z4a-S Twin Cities MN)

Put me down as a maybe!

Bookmark   April 8, 2010 at 2:25PM
doucanoe

I can probably make that weekend, Pauline. So far I know I have some white phlox and some Lysimachia that I have to divide. I am sure there will be other stuff as well.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances I'd say count me in! And let's hope we have better weather than last time you hosted! LOL

Linda

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 11:45AM
mantorvillain(z4bMN Dodge)

Well, I see a number of 'regulars' (amost wrote 'old timers' but thought better - LOL)and will add myself to the list. I made a number of brug (angel trumpet) cutting trades last fall and will be bringing up some varieties I haven't brought before. I'll probably also try to either divide or just lop of part of some daylilies and hosta also depending on how rapidly they take off.....oh, and bee balm that I need to 'restrain'. the weekend you suggest is great for me as I have the next week off and 'might' even have room to work my new treasures in before I've filled every nook and cranny which does occur by June. Oh boy, gettin excited!
Will

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 9:11AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Will, it is good to see your name here. You get to see one of your cactus growing very well in my garden.

We are getting close to having enough people to make a go of it.

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 9:29AM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

I'm in if at all possible - but only if it's the 16th! :) I don't have tons to bring this year but I'll have a few.

-Marie

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 10:42AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

The more people the merrier and I bet you show up with more than you think. We can always use your expertise if nothing else.

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 5:05PM
adamterrie(4)

I have a wedding on the 15th at 2:00 p.m. (with a 3 hour drive from my place). So, the 16th would work better for me as well - preferably with a later start time then normal. Early to mid-afternoon would be preferred. However, I will let the majority rule.

With all the warm weather we have been having (knock on wood), all the plants should be up by mid-May - even the notoriously late arrivals (e.g. hardy hibiscus, joe pye weed, etc.).

I have a lot of plants to dig up to trade.

- Adam

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 9:44PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Just moving this up to the top.

It sounds to me that the 16th is the best date.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 8:25AM
thisismelissa(z4a-S Twin Cities MN)

The 16th should be fine for me.
I would just like to be able to attend church in the morning.
So, I wouldn't be able to leave Lakeville till noon.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 10:06AM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

May I make a suggestion? How about 2pm and bring snacks and goodies for a "gardening tea" to cover the usual potluck? Seems the afternoon of the 16th works best for all of us.

-Marie

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 6:11PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Great Idea! So it will be 2:00pm on the 16th if we get enough people. We are at 9 yes and 2 maybe's.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 6:18PM
sandysgardens

Hello Pauline and Everyone,

Please put me down as a maybe for the plant exchange on the 16th. I need to try to rearrange that weekend if possible.

Sandy

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 7:24AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Your name is in the maybe column.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 9:00AM
happyinthegarden(4)

Put me down as a maybe. I like Marie's idea of snacks instead of the usual potluck.

Thanks,
Mary

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 7:44PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Mary, you are on the maybe list.

Pauline

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 8:08PM
nurse_amy

New to the forum, but very interested in a plant exchange! I live in Hastings, MN. New yard 2-3 years ago, so I'll have to see what I canb pot up for an exchange!

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 9:19AM
tammymn(Z4MN)

Sunday works good for me. I will have just finished my plant sale Thur thru Sat and since I dug so many I should have plants leftover to bring.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 2:53AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Amy and Tammy your names are on the yes list.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 7:50AM
lazyweeder(z4 MN)

Still might be too early for me and May is always busy. I'm a maybe...opening fishing that weekend too.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 5:37PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

You mean that opening fishing isn't on Mothers Day? You should have seen how happy my dad was when I got married on opening day for duck hunting. I swear he had his hunting cloths on under his tux.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 9:28PM
sarah.streitz

I am new to the forum and new to gardening. Could I still attend? Where does the group normally meet?

Thanks!

Bookmark   April 21, 2010 at 10:51PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Please do join us. We move from place to place. I will send you an email with my address and information in a week or so. I live in South Minneapolis near Lake Nokomis and the Mall of America.

Bookmark   April 22, 2010 at 6:54PM
hostaheaven-618

Hi, I have never been to a plant exchange, but would love to attend. I think the afternoon of the 16th would work for me, but put me down as a maybe. It's on my calendar.
Chris

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:44AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Chris, Your name is on the list. I will be sending out more information when it gets closer to the time.

As you are working in the garden just start setting aside plants to trade or at least keep in mind what you can pot up. It is easier than at the last minute.

I have 12 yes and 6 maybes.

Pauline

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 11:44AM
may8(Z4 MN)

Hi Pauline, please count me in. Thanks!

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 3:29PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Got you.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 4:05PM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

Pauline - are we "go"? :)

-Marie

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 1:38PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

One and all, yes we are a go. I will be sending each and everyone of you that have signed up directions to you personally.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 2:39PM
vinlands

I've been trading through Craigslist. If I still have plants to trade, I may be interested in the May 16 event.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 5:21PM
lynnsherbs(4 Minnesota)

Hi Pauline - could you put me down as maybe for the 16th? A friend and I are having a garage sale the 15th, so that's out. Don't know for sure if the hubby can "spare" me for another day!

Lynn

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 1:58PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I have you as a maybe.

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 3:36PM
kcrita

I'm a newbie here and would love to come! It sounds like fun and a great way to meet fellow MN gardeners!

Lisa

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 5:26AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Lisa,

It is a great way to meet fellow gardeners. I am sure that is how most of us have met each other.

You are on the yes list.

Pauline

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 7:39AM
may8(Z4 MN)

I just checked several people's trade lists and found that they are all gone, including mine. I know that some of you had long lists before. Does anyone know why trade lists get deleted/cleared? Is it a bug? It happened before and I have saved my list. I will update mine. It would be nice for everyone to check and update his/hers. I would like to bring plants that people want and hope to get plants that I want too.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 5:18PM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

Pauline, Gary and I are planning to be there. Do you have my email address for the directions?

We still don't really have plants big enough to divide to trade, but will be good for borders and so on (lots of quartz and sparkle in a lot of them) and have some nice pots to share for those who are raising seedlings. We also have some small trees but I haven't decided which ones are coming with us yet. I'll post them next week if I remember.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 1:11AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I moved you from undecided to yes on my list. I will use your email address from the garden web to send the info. I should be able to get the directions out later today or tomorrow morning.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 7:43AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I am having a problem. I am trying to send the directions out to all of you via your email addresses in the garden web link. I keep getting a not allowed message.

Does anyone have an idea how I can get this to you other than having each one of you send me your private email address? I really do not want to publish my address and telephone number here.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 10:09AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I may have figured this out. Let me try. Would you please send me an email from your account to the address for zenpotter above but type it into your email account rather than using the link at garden web.

I am crossing my fingers which is hard to do while typing.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 11:00AM
greenthumbelina7(Z4)

I am new here as well, only 3 unexperienced years of gardening but this year I am trying to get much more involved. Count me in for the 16th. What else do I need to do so I know where to go and whatnot? Thanks!
Tina

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 1:12PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

After much messing around I think I have been able to get the information to everyone on the yes and the maybe list. If you don't have it yet, please let me know.

We are up to 20 people on the yes list. This should be a fun exchange. I had better get out digging again. I have much more to pot up than I have already.

Pauline

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 1:25PM
greenthumbelina7(Z4)

I have not yet received any info but I just responded yesterday.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 12:33PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Tina, The info is on it's way. Anyone else?

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 2:13PM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

I checked to see what trees I have available. I'll be bringing 2 each of Highbush Cranberry, Serviceberry, and Paper Birch. One of the serviceberry's is already promised for a pre-arranged trade.

I don't have an up to date trade list, but I am looking for more raspberries (we're going to put in a bed of domestic raspberries at our camp) and also deer resistant perennials. Some of the ones I'd be interested in are columbine, black eyed susan, jack in the pulpit, astilbe, larkspur, delphinium, dianthus, foxglove, coneflower, bleeding heart (especially the gold one) , bloodroot, wild geranium, lupine, baby's breath, hellebore, lupine, perennial sweet pea, catmint, peony (any color but pink which I already have plenty of), russian sage, creeping phlox, lilacs... others as well, these are just some I was able to think of at the moment.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 2:13AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I should have some columbine.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 8:15AM
happyinthegarden(4)

I should have some black eyed susan to bring.

I am also looking for columbine, heliopsis, some unique hostas, iris (other then the standard purple & yellow), joe pye weed in orange.

I guess this means I'm gone from a "Maybe" to a "Yes" on attending the swap.

Mary

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 1:27PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I moved you over to the yes list.

I potted up some columbine this morning.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 2:00PM
may8(Z4 MN)

I will be bringing raspberries, bugle weed, orange day lily, pink lily of the valley, fever few, mint, etc. I am looking for blue berries, black berries, black currents, other fruits/nuts, lovage, wintergreen, very fragrant flowers and dry tolerant shade/part shade plants. Will trade, please see my trade list.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 2:32PM
greenthumbelina7(Z4)

Hey Pauline, just checking in again, I would love to attend the plant exchange but I'm still not aware of where it is located. Although, it has only been a week since you said it was coming.
Please let me know if you need my E-mail address or anything else.
Thanks!
Tina

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 10:00AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Tina, I have used the email address with your account twice and you haven't gotten it. Please send me your personal address to the address when you go to my info here on the G.W. I will see if I can add it here but a lot of forums don't let you put an address in. zenpotter@tcq.net

Pauline

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 10:23AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

The weather is showing 68ºand partly cloudy. That seems OK to me. Do I need to set a rain date just in case or assume it will be fine?

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 3:03PM
adamterrie(4)

Unless it is pouring, it seems like we always do these "rain or shine."

Some light rain is always nice for the plants anyways . . I'm always thinking about the plants above myself . .

So, to answer your question - we probably do not need a back up plan. :)

- Adam

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 5:47PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Adam, That is my idea. We did have one here that not only was it raining it was cold, it went Ok.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 6:10PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Weather report sounds like Sunday will be nice though cloudy.
Don't think we need a backup plan.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 10:46PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I am not going to set an alternative date.

I do want to say that if you happen to see a plant in my garden that you would like some of let me know and we can arrange a time for you to come back another day and get it. Most of the Hosta are not going to be split this year and nothing from my shady north hill is. I have been trying to get that hill covered for 11 years now.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 8:15AM
greenthumbelina7(Z4)

I'm trying to locate cheap plastic pots like the ones you get with purchased plants for this event. Is there somewhere local that I can buy them like a nursery or do I have to buy wholesale somewhere?

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 10:27AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I have been wondering the same thing. Right now I am using the Styrofoam cups I got at the last seed exchange. I had used them for my wintersowing this past winter so at least they are on their third time around.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 11:18AM
doucanoe

Pauline, I will e-mail you. I have not gotten address or directions yet.

So far I have monarda, bleeding heart, french tarragon, oregano, blue cohosh, echinacea, lady's mantle, one rose seedling, possibly one cimicifuga racemosa, tiarella and lysimachia.

I may be able to get some forget-me-not, jack in the pulpit, daylily and other stuff potted up in the next couple of days.

I also have lots of plastic pots of various sizes that need to be recycled/reused. If anyone is interested in those, I'll bring them as well.

Linda

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 12:56PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Linda,

Hopefully you will get them now, I sent them to your email.Please do bring the pots you have to be reused.

Is there anyone else that needs directions? If so send me your email address.

So far I have, beets, beans, columbine, prairie smoke, yarrow, monarda, and will get out to dig some more today and tomorrow.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 1:09PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

Hi all- I do think I will be able to make it!!
It will be so good to see you again!

As far as the pots go- call your local green houses and see if they have recycle bins you can help yourself to- or check with your county/city recycle centers, they may have have some for you as well-

Till Sunday!

Julie

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 1:27PM
greenthumbelina7(Z4)

Thanks for the tip. I went over to the dollar store at lunch today and found wide and deep plastic soup containers which will work perfectly with a few holes in the bottom. 4 for a buck if anyone is looking for a cheap way to pot plants up temporarily.

Tina

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 4:10PM
lynnsherbs(4 Minnesota)

Hi Pauline l- I'm afraid that I will not be able to attend after all! I was so looking forward to seeing everyone again...but my step-daughter and her family have decided to stop by tomorrow. She's expecting #2 in September and having a hard time, so I have to make a change in plans.

If anyone is interested in a hardy, pink shrub rose that produces huge hips; variegated Solomon's Seal, top-set onions, chives, etc - please keep me in mind.

Blessings,

Lynn

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 8:42AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Lynn, I am sorry you can't make it. I was looking forward to seeing you as well.

Pauline

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 8:48AM
selkie_b(z4 MN)

Linda - I'll take a blue cohosh off your hands :) Mine one is doing great where it is, and I'd like another!

I'll have prairie smoke, Canadian Mayflower, Virgina bluebells, and a couple other things :)

-Marie

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 10:17AM
lazyweeder(z4 MN)

Dang. Wish it wasn't so late in the day. I won't be able to go unless it rains. Goin fishin at 2pm. Have fun!

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 10:19AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

I just got in from potting up more plants. lazyweeder I really don't want it to rain either for your fishing or our exchanging plants. Good luck.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 12:56PM
tammymn(Z4MN)

I will be bringing a variety of stuff. Have some named daylilies Hyperion, siloam june bug, unchartered waters, golden prize, hostas so sweet, and fragrant bouuquet, lancifolia, lamium, creeping jenny, phlox, tomato & cucumbers, and I forget what else I have left. I really need my gallon pots so I am going to switch some out. If anyone has any extra they do not need I will gladly take them off your hands. Meet a nice gardner named Theresa who lives out in So. Mpls and invited her and she will be coming with some items to share!! See you all tommorrow.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 10:27PM
mantorvillain(z4bMN Dodge)

OK, here's what I'm gonna stuff in the van for the trip up:
15 mountain asters
6 Plume Poppies
6 Tall Rudbekias (5-6')
2 noid White Siberian iris
9 each of Green and Gold Creeping Jenny
2 Clematis Paniculata
6 Missouri Primrose
6 Red (good red, not 'winey') Bee Balm
2 varigated Loostrife, may be 'Alexander'?
1 Gunnera
4 Candy Lily - orange
3 Spider wort - cerise color, got at GW swap 2 yrs ago
3 Purple Globe Flower..may not be the right name
3 variegated artemesia
17 green elephant ear corms
7 Frosty Pink Brugmansias
1 Strawberries n Cream brug
1 White Sauvolens brug
1 'Ollie' brug
1 Insignis Coral brug
1 unknown seedling cross brug (hadn't bloomed for source)
Looking forward to seeing everyone this afternoon
Will

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 7:10AM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Will, Not only have you potted up a nice variety you have a lot of them.

I am wondering how I will keep myself from getting to many plants.

It looks like the weather will treat us well.

Pauline

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 7:55AM
Adelpasque(4a)

I would like to attend if I may. My gardens are in rough shape. I wouldn't have any thing to trade. I'm new to a plant exchange sounds fun though.

I have emailed you with my number.

Denise Buck

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 11:33PM
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Denise,

This was a posting from several years ago. I haven't been to the web site for over a year. I guess it is time to see what is happening here.

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 1:45PM
Adelpasque(4a)

Pauline,

Sorry I missed your call on Sunday. I called Monday and left a message for you.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Late Summer Garden Swap???
Anyone interested in a late summer/early autumn garden...
KittyWitty
What vegetables can I still plant from seed as of mid-August?
I just cleaned out the last broccoli, turnip, and cabbage...
nick_b79
What would you plant here?
Hi, I have a new house and I'm trying to get the foundation...
zone4newby
how late can I divide?
Hi all, Here's a question from your neighbor in North...
prairie_love
Seed catalog time
Over the past two weeks a whole lot of seed and nursery...
OldDutch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™