Strawberries

carmellia(z 4 Minn)April 6, 2006

Is it too early to take the straw off my strawberries? This was their first winter and I am so eager to see how they have fared, but I don't want to take a chance of damaging them either.

Any other strawberry secrets that you would be willing to share would be appreciated too. I understand that coffee grounds are an excelled addition in a strawberry bed. Thanks. Carmellia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

I planted strawberries last summer too, and didn't get them mulched at all. They stayed green all winter, whenever they weren't covered with snow. I think they must be pretty hardy. Funny though, my mom had a huge strawberry bed (we picked them by the pail (as in 4 gallon pails)... when I was a kid, and I don't remember them staying green like this.

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 9:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loodean

Hi Carmellia -

Some years I cover the berries and some years I don't. I haven't seen a difference. I do, however, leave my asparagus fronds on all winter and when I clipped them (about now - if it stops raining!) I will cover the berries with them. It protects the flowers from late frosts. I pull it off about May 10th. This year who knows how they will do. On Tuesday I came out to see a heifer had gotten loose and was standing in the strawberry bed eating out the tops. C'est la vie...

Bookmark   April 7, 2006 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
Hop Vines at Local Nurseries?
Just wondering if anyone in Minnesota has come across...
soilent_green
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
Have you grown foxglove or sweetpea from seed?
I was wondering, have any of you grown these from seed?...
primgal36
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™