Japanese Maple overwinter?

greendale(6B)August 3, 2014

Hi, All:

I know it is too early to think about overwintering, but want to get prepared. I got the following JPs this spring, they were in pots with diameter 6 and 1/4 inches. (Can you tell how many gallons the pot is from the diameter?) I potted them up to pots with diameter 8 and 1/2 inches. They were not pot bound in the original pot but I potted them up anyway. (Did not want to bother them too much to pot them down again). The tree are around 2 feet tall. Should I bring them in an attached garage/unheated basement or bury the pot into ground outside. (I am a little concerned they are too young for our brutal winter outside.) Also, are they true to the names? Thanks.

Autumn Moon

Tsuma Gaki

Kasaki Yama

Bloodgood

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ysrgrathe PA 6b

I'm in 6b too. You should be fine burying them *if* you have an area that is sheltered.

I have a small Autumn Moon in-ground in a sheltered area in the lee of my house, it made it through the terrible winter we just had with no dieback. I had no problem with trees in pots that I mulched in nearby against the house. However, I lost a Tsuma Gaki and a Kasagiyama that were in more exposed areas of the landscape. FWIW, my Bloodgood was fine in a very exposed area, but it is also a *lot* bigger.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 12:50PM
greendale(6B)

Thanks ysrgrathe. I am in RI. What do you mean sheltered? Like something overhang with roof? My back yard northern side is fenced. Will it ok they are buried close to the fence? Thanks again.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 8:27PM
ysrgrathe PA 6b

I'm not an expert, but I think the most important factors are protection from wind and sun. Wind dries and can lower effective temperatures, sun can lead to frost cracking and other heating damage when the roots are frozen. Your location near a fence sounds like it could be good if it is a buffer from prevailing winds and the winter sun.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 5:03PM
raee_gw

Here in 5a I have overwinter JM without problems in pots, either in my compost pile or sandwiched between 2 hay bales (with the gaps stuffed with more hay and hay piled up around the tops -- that was this past nasty winter where temps dropped to -18F). Mine was a Bloodgood and an unknown variety. I don't know if your others are perhaps more tender.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Acer Rubrum Redpointe - Pictures Anyone???
Was originally looking to get a Autumn Blaze but read...
sam268
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Japanese cultivars requiring the least sun (Zone 5)
Japanese Maple Cultivars Requiring The Least Amount...
directorrod
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™