does Shaina green out in summer, or stay RED?

growitnowAugust 4, 2013

Hi,
I found Shaina at a local garden center that seems a decent specimen. Except that it seemed pretty greened out as some red leaved cultivars do in sun of summer. From what I've read I thought Shaina stayed fairly red all summer. I want a decent red palmatum to plant near some cedrus deodora prostrate beauty (blue) - so red coloration is important.

At garden center the tree was in sun, but I don't know for how long, when they got it, etc. It does seem to be Shaina. Is moderate green out normal?

They only had one and I am trying to decide whether to buy it, wondering once planted and more stable whether it will retain better red; or if I should pass this one by.

thanks,
growitnow
zone 7, sunny hot VA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

In hot, southern locations, Shaina does have a tendency to "green out" in summer in a lot of sun. This is similar with a number of other red leafed JM's, noticeably Bloodgood, of which Shaina is a sport.

Maple Ridge Nursery is great southern resource for JM's - just outside of Atlanta, GA, they are a great clearinghouse for how specific JM's react in hot, sunny and humid southern climates. Searching through their listing of red leaved JM's should generate a number of choices for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple Ridge Nursery

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™