should I remove all the leaves from my dessicated tree?

Lynn NevinsAugust 1, 2011

About a week ago we had a stretch here in NYC with temps in high 90s for like a week. I apparently didn't water my garden enough (unfortunately my landlord never installed an external water connection, so I have to water my entire yard carrying buckets of water...!).

Anyway, the leaves on my acer palmatum dissectum have shriveled up and dried out. I've watered it since but clearly it's not going to come back this year. Should I just remove all the dried leaves? I don't suppose it will grow new leaves this year...maples don't do that, right?

Tx.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

It might just put some out. My purple ghost has a couple new bright purple leaves over the faded green ones.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

My old carpet cleaner had a long water hose you hooked up to the kitchen sink. How far out is your garden?

Bookmark   August 1, 2011 at 11:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houzi(8)

Personally I now leave the leaves on,though it does look ugly.I did remove the leaves,leaving the petioles on a 'Skeeters' once,and every branch I did died back.The leaf removal may well not have been the cause,I'm not sure,but I'm wondering if doing so caused the petioles to die prematurely,ruining the new buds beneath.As Toranado said,you may get some new growth,or just some tantalising new buds waiting to open,my Suminagashi has both.I guess the tree knows best what to do.

Bookmark   August 2, 2011 at 8:04AM
More Discussions
help choosing a tree
I want to put a row of trees between my neighbor and...
bucks502
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
Refreshing dirt in potted trees
Hi guys - I have 2 Japanese Maples in wine barrels....
minflick
Mail order source for improved silver maples?
Greetings! Brand new to the forum. This spring, I'll...
arbordavein
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™