How invasive are willow?

jazzygardener(z4 MN)April 4, 2007

How invasive are willow? I'm planning on using them as a fast growing hedge this year. Do I need to cut them back every season or can I just let them go?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gamebird

From my experience with willow in Oklahoma, they are moderately invasive, but not all that bad. The main problem is when they wash up on a shoreline and take root where it is difficult or impossible to mow. They spread very slowly unless they have a very wet environment.

All the varieties I know of would make a lousy hedge. They don't leaf densely, they don't grow very straight, they don't root deeply (and thus after a certain height you risk them falling over)... the only things they have going for them is that they are easy to establish if given enough water and they do well in poor soils.

I'd encourage you to examine other options, unless there's some reason or variety of willow that suits your situation really well.

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 5:47PM
tedb_threecedarfarm(Z4/5)

It's more a problem of getting to big rather then being invasive. Once establiched they will need regular pruning - either coppicing or removing 1/3 of the largest canes.

Ted

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 3:19PM
julie_mn(z4 MN Henn)

or.....
you can learn to make stick furniture and sell them for big $$$$- and then teach classes on how to do it- and let the students "prune" them for you.....
That would be fun!

Bookmark   April 5, 2007 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
Any Minnesotans out there?
These posts r so old! Is there anyone out there ready...
dreamingofmygardens
Late Summer Garden Swap???
Anyone interested in a late summer/early autumn garden...
KittyWitty
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
apple trees
What should you do to keep apples from insects when...
andrew414141
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™