shantung maples 10 ft apart?

bhawkins(8A Dallas)August 15, 2007

any idea how shantungs planted 10 ft apart would look in 10 years?

(yes, i know they should be 20-25 ft; but we all cheat sometimes, dont we? :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Are you trying to create forest-like conditions with no grass underneath?

Bookmark   August 16, 2007 at 10:52AM
bhawkins(8A Dallas)

hi lou!

i'm trying to screen out a neighbors house. i think i'm going to try at least 1 shantung. 24 ft south of it is a persimmon tree, so maybe a could plant another in between. & 10 ft north of the first shantung there's another open spot. so i could conceivably have 3 in a row.

in downtown allen tx they've lined the streets with 30-40 ft tall oaks 18-20ft apart; & even though the limbs all grow together at the top, the overall effect is quite nice. so if allen can crowd oaks together, i thought maybe i could crowd shantungs.

the trees will be in a north-south line, should be plenty of sun for all

thanks!

bob

Bookmark   August 16, 2007 at 12:25PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Bob-

It's hard to visualize how they would turn out. Like you, I would have to look at mature shantung maples to get a better idea. Their growth habit is different than oak trees though. I'm sure you know what I mean. I had thought about doing something similiar as well for more shade on my house from afternoon sun like 15 feet spacing which would mean two more fire dragons to the front yard. I already have 2 fire dragons in the front yard (i live on a corner lot so I have more room to plant).

I was hoping for Skinny Dragon but it doesn't look like they will be available before spring unfortunately.

Have you looked into Montezuma Cypress esp the ones from New mexico (they are originally from Mexico/South Texas) and they apparently have significant better cold tolerance. They are fast growing and would provide privacy most of the year since they tend to hold leaves longer - they are evergreen/semi-evergreen bald cypress depending on the location but semi-evergreen up here.

Bookmark   August 18, 2007 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Over-wintering small Maples on a window sill
Het, Just wondering. Can you over-winter small maple...
Timothy Wood
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
Japanese Maple scion wood
Hello, Have a lot of Maple seedlings Anybody wants...
korina77
Diffetences between the Autumn Blaze, Flame, and Fantasy?
In looking and reading on the WWW about different types...
Dmacsimus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™