Companion plants for under 'Crimson Queen'

shelli563(zone 6 MA)August 1, 2008

I'd like to get some ideas for low perennials or groundcover for under my Crimson Queen. She is small enough at this point that the plants will thrive in the dappled sunlight. I was thinking of golds, chartreuse or silvers.

Shelli

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaydye

Since eventually you will have a pretty dense canopy, you probably want to go with low growing plants. There is a groundcover hosta called lemon lime that might be good. It's cheap and easy to find from mail order, I would think. THere are some gold lamiastrums that are ground covers and easily found at nurseries here, also lamium 'White Nancy' might work.
Kay

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 8:17AM
kaitain4(7)

I have some variegated Vinca minor growing under mine. It has green and gold leaves, tolerates shade, and is very low growing. See the first few pics in this slide show: Japanese Maples - Spring '08

Regards,

K4

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 4:08PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

I have Sedum repestre 'Angelina' growing under mine.

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 5:12PM
stompede(z7 VA)

I've grown Creeping Jenny, black mondo grass, Chrysogonum, partridgeberry, and hosta under an 'Octopus' Jap maple, all in a raised bed with limited root space next to a pond.

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 11:06PM
gardengal48

All of the above are great possibilities :-) How tall your tree will get and the distance from the canopy to the ground depends on where it was grafted and how it has been trained - some selections will provide greater unobstructed space for plants than others. Whatever you select should have relatively shallow roots and be able to remain in place without need for frequent (or any) division......that's why low growing groundcover-type plants are ideal. Other possibilities could include the Japanese forest grass, Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola', or epimediums. The epis foliage goes through some seasonal color changes, with new growth emerging a bright limey green in spring, often with reddish edging, then maturing to green in summer and with some species, turning a rich coppery red in fall and winter. Plus, there is a wide range of color to the sprays of tiny orchid-like flowers they produce in early spring.

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Zone 5a and 4b Hardy Japanese Maple Cultivars
This past winter should be a good indicator as to what...
whaas_5a
Is this japanese maple dying?
I've have this young beni schichihenge for its first...
ledouchebag
Species Acer Palmatum leaves turning red
I have a couple of species A.p. seedlings under lights...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Acer Griseum grafting
I have found a medium sized Acer Griseum on the side...
peat23
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™