displaying melons and pumpkins

clinchbilly(6)July 21, 2014

Needing a good way to display melons and pumpkins. Our markets are just parking lots you just set out a table and a canopy at the back of your pickup. Not many sells either melons or pumpkints an the ones that do leaves them piled in the bed of the truck. Need something better, any ideals?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

I wouldn't want top be loading and unliading melons too many times - heavy!

Something like this, but beefed up for the weight? And display a couple of each variety?

Sort out a few baskets slightly by size so people can see what you have (they may want a small.med/lg fruit) and set them on a low platform made of crates?

Here is a link that might be useful: Farmer's stand

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 8:24AM
boulderbelt(5/6)

I put mine in grey plastic stacking crates and put 2 crates underneath so the produce is off the ground

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 5:46AM
barrie2m_

There are many ways to display attractively. I've used a three tier stand with large bins but you could also tier up straw bales and set pumpkins on top. Spread them out if you want people to get a better view of each.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 10:31PM
little_minnie(zone 4a)

I do large baskets and crates and organize by size. They are a pain to get to market! The crates can be loaded up and hauled with additional added from boxes. I wish I could bring a small wagon at that time of year.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:11PM
henhousefarms

Found a couple of pictures of what we do - wagons for the melons and straw for the pumpkins. Takes a lot of space in the trailer to haul them but in the end it works really well and the displays look good.

Tom

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 2:19PM
whfpa

I put mine on upside down bulb crates on top of my table. It adds a 2nd tier and the plastic grooves in the crate bottom keep them from rolling off the table.

I cant put anything on the ground or I'll end up w a market go'ers dog pissing on them. I like dogs but dont care for them at the markets. I had one piss on my table cloth last night and another one pissed on my chalkboard legs a few weeks ago. Of course the owners share some of the blame too.

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Organic pesticide for large market garden
We will be planting on about 3 acres this year - tomatoes,...
seedsoffaithfarm
anyone grow ramps??
I know this is a really specialty crop but was wondering...
brookw_gw
Movable High Tunnels? JRSLICK?
You have mentioned "movable building spots"...
lazy_gardens
Selling Tomato Plants?
We have a small produce farm, and we sell everything...
tawnyap1
Pump recommendation for watering in greenhouse?
Hey everyone, We're looking to set up a large water...
secondspring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™