pricing blackberries

theorganicfanaticJuly 1, 2012

I have blackberries that are not sprayed with chemicals and am wondering what they are going for in farmer's markets this year. I live in Ohio.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustico_2009

I just finished selling mine. $3.50 per half pint two for $6.
This is Southern California, two small markets and I was the only vendor with blackberries. At one market a guy had blueberries, $4 per half pint and it didn't seem to slow blackberry sales.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 11:55PM
boulderbelt(5/6)

It really depends on what they are going for at your local markets. I also have sustainably raised blackberries (unsprayed, OMRI fertilizers and compost used for fertility) and I intend to sell them for $3 a pint out of my farm store but when I did farmers markets there was a guy next to me with 1/2 acre of conventional black berries and he got $2 a quart for them which meant that is what I had to charge as he was undercutting me and my customers who all claimed that organic was more important than price flocked to his stand for the cheap chemical berries.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 4:54AM
2ajsmama

Last year I was charging $5/pint for wild blackberries and sold out every time.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 6:34AM
myfamilysfarm

I never priced my wild berries the same as 'tame' berries, I was always more, and usually got whatever I wanted. I still have people that want my wild berries WHENEVER I want to pick them.

Any price on any item will be different from market to market, what California or NYC might get mostly likely will be more than what a small town rural market might get.

Marla

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 8:46AM
teauteau(KC5/6)

We have a lot of blackberries wild and cultivated in the KC area and I was getting $3 a pint. A couple years ago, I tried $4 and only sold a few. However, some of the more upscale markets in the suburbs may be getting more.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 11:57AM
2ajsmama

Blueberries were selling $4.50/pt at market last week (I haven't picked my wild ones yet, the birds might have gotten them all this w/e). I think raspberries (cultivated) were $6/pt, imagine blackberries would be in between. I may raise my price this year - next year when I have cultivated blackberries I will have to charge more for wild than for the thornless Triple Crown since the wild are so much more a pain (literally!) to pick.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 4:44PM
henhousefarms

We are running $4.50/pt also, but our quantities are pretty limited (maybe 25-30 pints a week). Have not had any trouble selling out. These are Triple Crowns with nice big berries.

Tom

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 7:05PM
myfamilysfarm

I never sold them for less than $3 pint, I think that was in 2000. The last ones sold for $5 or more per pint. Never did get any tame ones started.

Marla

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 8:05PM
theorganicfanatic

Looks like there is a wide variety of pricing going on. I doubt if I can get too very much around here for them. It's kind of scary to put a higher price on them as I need them to sell. But maybe they would sell high since I'm the only one selling them. I guess I will check the stores and see what they are going for. So far things around here are selling pretty cheap. Hard to compete.
Thanks so much everyone for your help.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 9:56PM
2ajsmama

You can always lower your price, it's hard to raise it (impossible to raise it the same season!).

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 6:27AM
myfamilysfarm

What I have done in the past, is set my price that I want (usually high to very high in my opinoin), then if I don't sell any within 2 hrs, I lower the price 10% or so, after another 2 hrs, I'll do it again. After than I take them home and put them in the freezer, hubby will eat them during the winter time when fresh fruit is SO expensive or tastes like crap.

Marla

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 9:18PM
2ajsmama

I make jam out of them and sell the jam for $6/halfpint.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 9:35PM
myfamilysfarm

I've never made jam, made jelly, but not jam. He enjoys the berries so much, never have too much. Plus usually I don't have extra.

One year, I did can some berries and sold them to a friend, it takes 1 1/2 qt of berries to 1 qt canned berries. I sold the qt for $8.

Marla

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Micro Green mix help
Lately, I've been getting demand for micro greens in...
theripetomatofarm
surplus
Normally I have a restaurant that buys 150 lbs/week...
brookw_gw
Emergency: using unvented propane in greenhouse - help!
Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone with some experience...
secondspring
One woman, seven acres
Hi there. I've been reading this forum for nearly eight...
briannaorg
Cash Rent for land
Quick question. I am looking for some ground to rent...
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™