Andromeda polifolia-Blue Ice Bog Rosemary

zenpotter(z4 MN)April 15, 2008

Has anyone tried growing it? I saw it at Lowe's and am wondering. Also, I normally don't buy at big box stores is Lowe's ok?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leftwood(z4a MN)

Needs acid soil like blueberries, and always moist. Also, it is an evergreen, so winter shade will benefit. I don't think Lowes is any different than any other big box: If you buy them before they get ignored or abused by the store's help or customers, they're a good deal.

An added note for these large stores especially:
Most customers at these stores are not at all plant savvy. You can always find plants that look pretty bad, but are actually perfectly healthy, yet no one will buy them. If you find a variety of plant that you want, but it "looks" bad, take a closer look. It might be just some dead leaves and the plant itself is in good condition. The dead leaves that don't get take off at big box stores, do get trimmed at smaller nurseries.

Bookmark   April 15, 2008 at 6:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zenpotter(z4 MN)

Thanks leftwood, I think I will try one to see if it likes my yard and of course if I like it.

I don't get to the big box stores often enough to be there when they first come in. I will keep checking though when I do go.

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
What's the productive lifespan of Zuchinni and Squash in MN?
I'm working in a community garden and of course there...
srj19
Peach Trees in Minnesota
I've heard of some people successfully growing peach...
rkinsella
Log Home for sale
We are going to be putting our home on the market soon...
doucanoe
Minnesota Apples
Photo shows what I harvested today from the orchard...
soilent_green
Seed Saving Workshop- rescheduled
Learn how to save seed correctly without misinformation...
little_minnie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™