My Fireglow JM has leaves turning green - confused!?!

bencjedi(6 - Central Kentucky)September 6, 2010

My 4 year old Japanese Maple Fireglow has its bright red leaves turning green this summer. Could this be a mineral deficiency? I put 10-10-10 around the tree is early spring this year. It has been very dry in the area the last several weeks. The ground is so dry that I have cracks forming in the clay subsurface that makes up the alkaline soil here. I have not watered the tree, but maybe I should have.

The tree never had its leaves turn like this. Other than this peculiar transformation the tree has been very healthy. I'm not sure if it is a problem or not. I'd appreciate some advice or reassurance that the tree is ok. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

It happens in full sun all day long. Lack of watering may have play a role. When it cools down and get enough rain in the fall, it should revert back to red (fall color).

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 11:49AM
bencjedi(6 - Central Kentucky)

Thanks for letting me know it is really nothing to worry about. We need rain badly here. We've had a negligible amount since early July. :(

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 5:00PM
drrich2(6)

I'm in southwestern KY & my 2 Bloodgoods & 1 Emperor I have all turned to a rather dark green instead of the burgundy purplish-red they're known for.

Richard.

Bookmark   September 9, 2010 at 12:51AM
cfmuehling(7b DC/MD burbs)

I realize this post is dated, but I have to comment.
Fireglow (and Emperor 1) is one of the varieties that does BEST in full sun, retaining it's glowing red all summer. Mine, in unrelenting full sun with a horrendous drought happening -- plus 66 days over 95F -- never lost its color.

That said, I don't have any idea why yours would be turning green. Too much shade would have been MY guess, given it's engineering for full sun. Water it a bit more, definitely?

Christine

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 10:31AM
bencjedi(6 - Central Kentucky)

Relentless drought here, but finally some nice soaking rain yesterday. It's 'fired-up' now.. the leaves actually turned red again. It gets plenty of sun in the front yard all day. It looks normal and is going into dormancy now: From 111610

Looks like major lack of rain is what made mine turn green. It's happy again! :)

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 11:06AM
cfmuehling(7b DC/MD burbs)

Oh, that's great!
I am eyeing mine for dormancy because I'm going to move it up closer to my house so I can see it better this time of year. I am addicted to red.

Enjoy your beauty!
Christine

Bookmark   November 17, 2010 at 1:46PM
mike423(5 IL)

Let me know if your willing to do some trading if you have some seeds. Ive been wanting to grow either Fireglow or Deshojo as a bonsai specimen. :)

-Mike

Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 9:44PM
luyeno

My guess is that the 10-10-10 fertilizer is what turned the tree green. Too much nitrogen or not enough sun can cause this effect in red maples. It looks like your tree gets a lot of sun. Maples don't need a lot of nitrogen. Too much nitrogen can cause leggy growth in Japanese maples.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   December 12, 2010 at 2:07PM
gardengal48

I'd be inclined to think the alkaline soil may have been an influence rather than the fert. Unless the fert was over-applied, it is unlikely that excessive nitrogen was at issue - nitrogen is the least stable of the basic plant nutrients in the soil and is often lacking.

Mike, you DO know that seeding grown JM's cannot be considered named cultivars? There can be a huge amount of variablility in the seedlings and they often look vastly different in leaf shape and color from the parent tree. They are just generic Japanese maples, Acer palmatum species. If you want a small Fireglow (or other named form) for bonsai purposes, you will need to try from cuttings or from starter grafts. Cutting grown JM's are rather tricky to get going too.

Bookmark   December 13, 2010 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Tamukeyama Japanese maple
What are the growing habits of this tree. Hight, weeping...
420benz
acer palmatum
i live in hamilton ontario canada does anyone know...
mjoancam
Planting a Sugar Maple seed.
Hello! I've got a beautiful Sugar Maple in my yard,...
Pippers
Need help with struggling Jap Maple
CHeck out these pictures my Japanese maple isn't doing...
djiancharles
Is it ok to plant Bloodgood at December in zone 7a?
I got two 45 gallon Bloodgood JM trees on my driveway....
Pro320
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™